or

Marantz 7500/8500

I already have a Polk SW.

They have almost the same price.

What would you recommend?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I personally own PSB speakers (Goldi, C6i, Bronze). I like them better than the B&W because they seem to be a well rounded speaker. The B&W might be better as far as detail goes, but I wanted speakers that could handle every type of music available from punk to jazz to classical to rock to r & b/funk. I especially like them because they aren't bass shy. They're great when watching movies. Movie soundtracks and effects sound great. No matter how many votes for PSB vs. B&W you receive, you really need to go and audition both pairs of speakers. If you listen to more classical and jazz, I'd might go with the B&W. You really just need to go in with action and concert dvd's and whatever music you listen to and go from there. If you find a store that sells the same receiver you own and both pair of speakers, I'd go to that store and listen there. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks musicjunkee.

There are no stores in my area that carry both speaker brands, just the receivers.

I listen to all kind of music but i like rock music the most. Maybe the PSB's are better in this depertment.

However i want great speakers for both HT and music. It seems that i will have to listen and listen in both stores.

The thing about B&W is that a lot of people consider them overpriced, since the large marketing campaign they do. I think the PSB's would give me more value for my $$$$ since i think they put all their resources in the design.

What do you think of this?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I have the rotel rsx1056 with the 603s3's and the lcr600.To me they sound great for ht and music.I have been totaly satified with this setup.Ihave never heard any of the psb speakers so i can't comment on them.I really dont think you can go wrong with either marant or rotel.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FerCruz
Thanks musicjunkee.

There are no stores in my area that carry both speaker brands, just the receivers.

I listen to all kind of music but i like rock music the most. Maybe the PSB's are better in this depertment.

However i want great speakers for both HT and music. It seems that i will have to listen and listen in both stores.

The thing about B&W is that a lot of people consider them overpriced, since the large marketing campaign they do. I think the PSB's would give me more value for my $$$$ since i think they put all their resources in the design.

What do you think of this?
i think that a "larger percentage of resources" in no way implies "a larger quantity of resources"...

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I love my PSB stratus gold's, but "better for rock" is not one of the qualities I would describe them as possessing. They are pretty laid back speakers for music (less so for HT). Very forgiving speakers, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I'm no expert but I auditioned the B&W 603 S3 using an Onkyo TX-NR1000.

For music, I listened to Duncan Sheik's Barely Breathing and Theme from Mission: Impossible by Adam Clayton.

I must say I was disappointed as the bass was muddled - I don't know what the proper term is but it didn't sound natural - the bass guitar didn't sound like a bass guitar as it sounded more like a thump.

The LCR600 sounded anemic - even with a +5dB adjustment for the center channel and everything else flat.

On that same day, I auditioned a pair Dali Suite 1.7 speakers with a Suite C 0.8 and I must say they sound so much better for both music and HT. It was powered by a humble Harman/Kardon AV230. Speech was clear and well balanced. The background music and effects did not overwhelm the center channel. Oh, and the settings for all channels was +0dB.

Maybe you should compare Dali versus PSB.

HTH

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'm going to disagree with Autopian,i dont find the 603's muddled at all and the lcr600 is far from anemic atleast with my rotel rsx1056.Maybe it sounded that way with the onkyo i dont know,but i find them very detailed.I cant compare to the dali's they may be better cant say.As far as the bass with the 603's yes it does not get as low as the 604's but with a sub it does not really matter.Even though on my rotel i can adjust the low's in the contour settings of the receiver to give it more bass if i wanted it.Maybe its true that b&w and rotel do sound good together.Overall you just got to listen to them to decide.And i do believe that speakers do sound different with each different amplification.

·
Registered
6 Posts
rocky1, I understand where you're coming from as B&W 603 S3 generally get good reviews from all over (not as good as the 604 S3, but still good). This is why I was expecting the 603 to sound at least as good as the Dali.

Maybe the problem was with the Onkyo - and if it is so, then the US$3,000+ price tag isn't justifiable!

The final arbiter, of course, are your very own ears.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I agree with you that the dali's may be better, i by no means think the 603's are better i dont know.But i think each specific speaker has its qualitys and according to the amplification specific sounds.Personally i would never opt for a 3,000. + receiver,if i had that kind of budget i would look into seperates.Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
I"ve owned the PSB GOLD(i) Stratus Mini and C6 center and also love B&W. My opinion is that at this price point, PSB is the better performer. At higher price points like in B&W Nautilus stuff, the B&W stuff would be superior to the PSB Platinums for example.

·
Registered
275 Posts
With the tarnish being applied to the B&W's in this thread, I thought I had better chime in to defend my speakers. :D

When I was shopping I listened to PSB T55's vs. B&W 603's. I found the PSB's to be slightly harsh. Just not a pleasant sound overall. I was actually suprised because I had read many good reviews of them and was expecting to like them. Probably had more to do with the room than the speakers since had a glass wall in the back behind the listener, but that it is what I heard. Didn't need a second listen compared to the other speakers I liked.

A different store had the 603's, and I liked the detailed, yet fluid sound of the speakers. You could hear each instrument, but it all came together to sound flowing like music should. Not muddled at all for it's price range in my opinion. In the end, the 603's are what I chose over about 10 other considerations.

Just a different perspective.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Could'nt of said it better! Go 603's!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok.

I went yesterday and auditioned both speakers (PSB T65 and B&W 603).

I came home with a pair....

B&W 603 :D

I just liked them better.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Congrats! Have you decided on which receiver?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I vave a very limited budget, so i will be driving my B&W witha cheapo receiver which came as part of a HTIB. (Sony STR-K750P) which states to deliver 100 wpc.

Im saving $$$$ to buy the LCR600 and im leaning towards the Rotel 1056.

Im hoping to have them in three months.

For surrounds i will be using a pair of tower speakers celestion F30 which are really good.

Thanks everyone-.

:D

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
You more or less are doing what i did.I got my setup peice by peice as budget allowed.I had the rotel rsx1056 first then the 603s3's then the lcr600.I'm still waiting to get the 601s3's for surrounds.My def.tech. pro100's from previous setup will do for now.And i'm still using the def.tech sub.

Good luck on getting the center and the rotel(great choice).Just dont be like me and get impatient.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.