AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little confused with calibration of the color space on my la40b650 screen, I am using the DVE color filters with the DVD and I read here they are not accurate which makes sense as to why the blue one is a little off from the screens blue only mode.

I read the settings on the hdtvtest.co.uk site and one of there settings was

Green: R 38 G 53 B 0

Why would you need to put red into green when it shows up as a dark square under the filter and green doesnt contain any red IRL? Also do the darker squares need to match under the filters?

I checked the pattern on both my PS3(HDMI-HDMI) and PC(DVI-HDMI) and the PS3 needed a lot of calibration especially under the green filter but on the PC it looks a lot more uniform to the point where I am confused as to why it is so close to perfect I wonder if its due to the driver labelled "Samsung".

When looking at the pattern in windows, yellow seems equally brighter than it should be under both the red and green filters. Both Magenta and Red match each other perfectly although are darker than the surrounding reference, suggesting they are possibly perfect and the error is due to the filter and not the screen, does this sound like the case?

I would also like to know what is the easiest way to adjust white balance as there is no greyscale card that comes with the DVD and I dont want to use any electronic equipment.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Cannot do CMS without test equipment and software. Filters are not meant for the CMS stuff. Never were.

No gear for wB ... then you will need some gear. An optical comparator. A kodak graycard and a d65 light. = electronic equipment.

Like saying you want to get to europe, but don't want to fly or take a ship.

You can't get there from here without going through the equipment gate.

Could also hire a pro ... then you don't have to use any gear ... they will be.

regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, kodak greycard and d65 light seems simple enough, just a flashlight and a peice of cardboard I hope, where could I get one of these?

I just meant I didnt want to use a computerized contraption such as the spyder. What is holding me back from having it professionally calibrated is that I imagine after some months it would no longer be well calibrated due to aging and if that wasnt the case then I would still prefere to give it a shot myself 1st to try get something I can be content with.

Wouldnt using the color filters be better than nothing though? I wanna make the most of what I have even if its not the best situation.

I am thinking of trying to match the PS3 filter results with the PC filter results rather than go by what most people do and match it with the background cause I did that and yellow looks off so I dont really trust the filters.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/16976338

No gear for wB ... then you will need some gear. An optical comparator. A kodak graycard and a d65 light. = electronic equipment.

Is a Kodak grey card neutral enough to be used as an optical comparator?

It seems like it would bias your calibration towards red. ( source )

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Like trying to use a hammer to bake a cake. Wrong tool for the wrong job.

Nothing lasts forever. that is why we do more than 1 oil change on our car ... more than 1 tune up. Wear and tear ... things change.

It comes down to cost of your time and $ for equipment versus the cost of getting a pro to do it. Significant drift is usually in the 2 year time frame ... not months. Repeat visits from pros rarely cost the same every time.

regards

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Cheap solution is a cheap solution. One gets what they pay for. the D65 light will cost about $80 once shipped.

Guess one will use their probe to test the gray card after it gets done ... no wait ... they don't have a probe ...

World ain't perfect.

regards

·
Registered
773 Posts
I agree, though I don't really see using an optical comparator as a viable option for calibration personally. Yes, it's better than adjusting things by eye without a reference, but I'd much rather have a meter for the job.

But if you are going to use an optical comparator system, it helps if your reference is neutral. I don't know how much that non-linearity would affect the results.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

But if he doesn't want to get a meter .. then his solutions are more limited.

regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.