AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I thought I would post here to see if anyone recommends a course of action before I contact BA.

I have owned VR975's since early 2002, awesome speaker. I have absolutely no complaints. However, I'm starting to hear on real heavy bass tracks(only in 5.1 mode) that the left speaker sounds like something is rattling. Like a blown sub possibly, but I can't imagine why, I never crank them.

I just tried tightenening the screws on the sub and reflex woofer and no help. The right speaker does nothing of the sort, and they are both set to 9 o'clock on the gain, which is definitely conservative I think.

Just wondering if you guys think the sub is blown, perhaps the amp inside the speaker is crapping out? Any thoughts?

· Registered
2,653 Posts
Very gently push on the cone of the driver you think is bad. If it makes a scraping sound as it moves back and forth, it's the driver. Otherwise, it could be either the amp in the speaker OR in the processor/amp section of your receiver. I'm not sure how those speakers are hooked up, but it could be that a particular channel in the reveiver/processor is bad.

If gently pushing on the speaker cone doesn't reveal any problems, I would swap the left and right channels on your speakers. If the problem follows the channel swap, it's in the receiver/processor. If it stays with the same speaker after swapping channels, then I would say it's in the speaker amp.

· Registered
144 Posts
I know your post is a few years old and hadn't seen what the outcome was.

I have the vr975's as well and experienced the same thing you did.As it turns out the foams on the 10 drivers were worn, hard to notice on mine initially, until they became seperated from the cone.

I took them out and up to a repair shop, 58 dollars to replace foam surrounds on both speakers. I must tell you they sound as good as the days spent auditioning them 12 years ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.