AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you judge my choice of forums to place this thread, I will preface with some background and praise. My baby monitor produces quite a bit of static. I know this is common, however I feel I should be able to solve this. I have experienced similar static when connecting an old computer to a high powered amplifier. To solve the static, I used an in-line ground loop isolator. However, since the transmission is wireless, I cannot use the same device to reduce the static.

I believe the heart of the problem is magnetic shielding. I also believe (and have found to be fact) that anywhere else on the internet concerning baby monitors says "Buy a new one", "Use a digital one". I know the people at this forum have dealt with static and most likely DIY magnetic shielding/grounding.

The receivers (and the transmitter) are not grounded. I have attempted to ground the outercase (plastic) using some shielded cable I had lying around. This helped, but not in the way I had expected. I attached one end to the baby monitor receiver and the other end to a grounded metal device. This did not help. After many other options, I threw it on the floor and the static disappeared completely. I do not know why. Anyone have a clue?

Anyways, the heart of the reason as to why I ask in the speakers section is that I believe it is truly a ground loop or magnetic shielding issue. Both of which someone on this forum has dealt with and fixed. How can I ground a plastic device? If it is not grounding, how can I magnetically shield the device?

Relevant information:

Wireless devices in house: Wifi and cell phones (operating at different frequencies than the monitor)

I do live by a road that semis drive by frequently, however after a few minutes of watching the semis drive by, there is no interference with them.

To reiterate, my best attempt at reduce the static was a shielded cable attached to the monitor and the other end laying on a sock on the floor...no idea why this worked better than a grounded device.

Thanks for any help/suggestions you may have.

PS: Since I have a monitor in my home theater, it is killing me to hear static while watching quiet movies. Hopefully someone can relate to how irritating that is...

·
Registered
521 Posts
At least your not asking us to tell you what speakers to buy for your 5.1 setup on $XXX dollars! It's a nice change, IMO.

As for your problem, going into detail about throwing it on the floor might help. Was this not a permanent "fix"? (Apparently not, since your asking here?).

Did the problem remain fixed while it lay on the floor, and then return when you picked it up?

I experienced something similar with our baby monitor. The distance was not very far, but if we did try and stretch the distance, we got static as well. Overall though, we got very little static with our monitor over the years. Perhaps trying another brand will help? I could recommend the brand we used, if I can find it.

When we used a short distance, say 20-30', we would occasionally get static and I could just move it somewhere else and it would clear up. How far is your distance? How many walls is it going through? Perhaps a beefier system will solve the problem, I'm sure you could find some reviews of the different models available online. I found my cordless phone by doing research on the net, and ended up with a great one (after initially buying one that wouldn't go out of the room where the base was without tons of static and poor reception).

I don't think magnetic shielding or grounding will help. I believe you have a reception problem. Your base isn't getting a strong enough signal to the monitor. At least, that seemed to be the issue with ours when we experienced static. So that's my opinion, I'm no expert with this stuff but I do have a little first hand experience.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The throwing it on the floor was in no way a permanent fix, it just worked until I forgot about how fragile the fix was and moved the cable. It worked fine as long as it was not touched. Another thing that works is if I grab the other end of the cable myself. Now that I think about it, this must be a reception thing...my whole body is acting as the antenna.

We are only going about 10' for one and about 20' for the other, so pretty short distances. I guess I'll try some antenna solutions

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey!

I was searching the net for the same reason and found your post. Please let me know if the antenna solution worked and how.

Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
We always heard voices on our baby monitors.

Then we discovered they run on the same frequency as some cordless phones.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you get on the top of your car and hold hands, you can hear the aliens.

Sorry...the "Signs" reference is not helping, I know. :-D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts