AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To read or not to read, that is the question. I'll have the script this weekend. This is a troubled production with massive studio tampering (ala ALIEN 3) in an effort to make it more 'commercial' and, of course, keep it PG-13, even though the script, as written was massively R rated territory according to all who have read it.

I'm torn. Really am. I love Michelle Yeoh and Vin Diesel, to me, is a guy who should be the current action film star since he has the build and voice for it. He just looks and feels the part. But this film smells like a disaster, despite a cool looking trailer. I mean, the film will be 90 minutes simply because FOX said, "make it 90 minutes" and cut ten minutes from what was already a tight film. WTF?!?!

·
Registered
7,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric /forum/post/14273400

Saw the trailer on hellboy; looked pretty good so fingers crossed it turns out ok.

I have to force myself not to pay attention to trailers anymore - just been burned too many times by letting them sway me into thinking something will be a killer movie.

·
Banned
989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/14273887

I have to force myself not to pay attention to trailers anymore - just been burned too many times by letting them sway me into thinking something will be a killer movie.

Its true, all the good bits are in the trailer. There was a road warrior or something trailer too that was so long i now dont need to see the movie.

·
23,030 Posts
If all movies were half as good as their trailers we wouldn't be complaining about how so many movies are "crap".

larry

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trailer is good. It does show a big money shot, but it is not a beat by beat by beat plot synopsis and that's rare. Frankly, you can't really get too much of the story from the trailer. Just enough to make you interested (nor not).

But the film is a likely bomb because there is just no buzz. FOX has been lax (to say the least) in promoting it.

Still have not touched the script. It's on my hard drive, as is the script to INGLORIOUS BASTARDS (or 'Basterds' as Tarantino spells it).

·
Registered
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/14269020

...Vin Diesel, to me, is a guy who should be the current action film star since he has the build and voice for it. He just looks and feels the part.

Yea, Vin Diesel was all set to be the next big action star, and we needed one, since most of the old ones are...old, or governor.

But something went wrong. Bad movie choices, whatever. Shows that much of the success of stars like Schwarzenegger and Willis comes down to having the smarts to make good movie choices, which Vin Diesel hasn't had too much luck at. Or maybe part of it is just luck in getting good scripts and directors coming your way, and Vin Diesel hasn't been lucky.

But Vin Diesel should be the biggest action star in the world right now, but his career jumped the tracks somewhere.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
the riddick movies should've vaulted this guy into superstardom...i thought Chronicles of Riddick (and also Pitch Black) was a terrific sci-fi movie (granted I watched the director's cut on dvd).

I wish we would've gotten more Riddick movies....now he's making kids movies and more fast and the furious sequels.

I'll continue to check out his non FatF action movies for sure. Oh XXX did suck though...that appeared to be strictly for the paycheck.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
XXX being a kind of POS hurt Vin. The studio expected much more from the film. RIDDICK had a good trailer, but the film underperformed. Sci-Fi is tough.

But that kid film he did, for reasons unknown, did great biz for a family comedy.

Should BABYLON A.D. tank he will need that FAST AND FURIOUS film to be a hit, big time.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They should have had a lesser budget and kept the R rated tone of the first film. Still, I like the film and have it on HD-DVD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts