AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 year old child who is into everything. My wife can't seem to keep the baby away from stuff, so I have to keep things from him.

I have an Outlaw LFM-1 subwoofer, which has both a downfiring driver and ports, making it pretty child proof to begin with (no toy cars stuffed into ports, etc.). But like most subs, it has a removable power cord, just like we all have on our desktop computers. This type of power cord presents a potentially lethal hazard if he were ever to unplug the sub end of the cord and stick it into his mouth while the other end is still plugged in to the outlet.

So I poked around the web until I found a childproof solution, a power cord retainer clip. This is simply a bent-wire clip that attaches to the mounting screws of the power inlet and flips down to retain the power cord. THey are made by Qualtek, and I found them at mouser.com. Maybe you can find them locally, it cost me more in shipping than it did for the clip itself, but still only about $6 total, cheap for childproofing safety.

http://www.qualtekusa.com/catalog/na.../retainer.html

http://www.mouser.com/?Ne=3&handler=...er%7c%7cSField

To install the retainer clip you pull out the existing screws, and replace them with the retainer clip screws. Unfortunately, this means you may have to get to the back of the power panel, as the screws are often held in with nuts that are unsecured and will simply fall off when the screw is removed. So you will have to remove the amp from the sub, but removing the amp is very easy, just remove the screws and gently pry the amp away from the gasket. (at least that's the way it worked on my Outlaw LFM-1, your sub may differ). As with any audio gear, unplug the unit and don't touch any of the circuit boards, capacitors can sometimes retain a charge.

To make sure the child cannot simply flip up the retainer clip and remove the cord, use a plastic cable tie or a strong twist tie to secure the clip to the cord. I also added a large cable tie to the cord itself, which butts up against the inside of the clip and makes the connection very tight, but you can probably get away with just tying the clip to the cable.

Here is a photo of the clip installed. (and my serial number hidden from the Outlaw warranty police)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and here is a photo of the retainer clip and the power cord with both cable ties in place. (someday I'll figure out how to attach more than one photo per post).

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Good info.

Did you also consider duct tape, or JB Weld?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
everybody's a comedian ... :)

I wanted a clean, nonpermanent solution. I don't think duct tape or JB Weld fit that criteria. But it made me think of the duct tape wall mounted speakers, and I had to laugh.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Well, I could have suggested a leash or a switch, but some people are sensitive about that kinda thing.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks very much. I went with a sub powered by an external amp for safety reasons. I like your solution though, and may use it for some other things.

Having a 3 year old, you need a lot of duct tape to keep them in one spot. Welding works much better.

·
Registered
826 Posts
These are all such great ideas-the problem that occurs is when my 19 month old son goes to visit auntie & uncles house that has a subwoofer & constantly wants to cram anonymous dog toys (or his pacifier) in their sub!

:p

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tell those aunties and uncles to have a kid or two and they will babyproof their own stuff so you can visit without worries ...

Funny how I have nothing fragile below 3 feet anymore ... unless it's in a cabinet with a baby lock ... :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.