AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 4 foot space between upper cabinets that make up my back bar. The cabinets are maple stained a mahogany color. I am planning on putting in a large mirror on the back wall and glass shelves to hold my liquor collection. I am trying to find the best way to do this.

I would like the shelves to be adjustable.

So my current plan is to put in adjustable shelving with the tracks on the far right and left. These are the metal tracks and brackets you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. I will then put the brackets and wire shelves in for strength. I will put glass shelves on top of the wire shelves.

I called a glass company and they said that 1/2" shelves should be strong enough to span the 4 foot distance.

My problems:

1 - I think the tracks and the wire shelves may be too industrial looking for a nice bar.

2 - I do not want to put a track in the middle for additional support because it will will break up the look of the mirror.

Any suggestions on how I can get nice looking, adjustable glass shelves that span a 4 foot gap that can hold the weight of full liquor bottles?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Vinny,

A four foot span with glass shelving holding heavy liquor bottles may be a bit much. Perhaps you could use two rods or two strips of maple with the grain running length wise, one in front and one in back, spanning the space and then put a glass shelf on that. I wouldn't attempt to put bottles on the glass alone without support of some kind. Without seeing pictures of your set up, it's hard to "see" what you are up against.

Good luck and please let us know what you come up with.

Edit... I used the JIG IT shelving jig from rockler.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Kennedy /forum/post/0

I currently have a 4 foot space between upper cabinets that make up my back bar. The cabinets are maple stained a mahogany color. I am planning on putting in a large mirror on the back wall and glass shelves to hold my liquor collection. I am trying to find the best way to do this.

I would like the shelves to be adjustable.

So my current plan is to put in adjustable shelving with the tracks on the far right and left. These are the metal tracks and brackets you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. I will then put the brackets and wire shelves in for strength. I will put glass shelves on top of the wire shelves.

I called a glass company and they said that 1/2" shelves should be strong enough to span the 4 foot distance.

My problems:

1 - I think the tracks and the wire shelves may be too industrial looking for a nice bar.

2 - I do not want to put a track in the middle for additional support because it will will break up the look of the mirror.

Any suggestions on how I can get nice looking, adjustable glass shelves that span a 4 foot gap that can hold the weight of full liquor bottles?

Well, I had a 6'4" space behind my bar to do the same... so I went ahead and put a track in the middle and used two 3/8" glass shelves, each about 38" long. Here's a shot:

More on my basement website

Given how stong those shelves are, I'd bet even 3/8" would be ok for a 4' shelf. A 1/2" piece should be no problem at all.

I got the black metal track at Home Depot (made by Rubbermaid) that has a bit more style than the regular old stuff you might use for garage shelves, and I'm very pleased with the look.

Depending on the look you are going for, consider bronzed mirrors... they are more expensive, but I'm glad I did it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I purchased this
http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?...cat=287&page=1

because I was unsure of permanant shelving because my middle mirror covered the entire open space between my cabinets. I actually love this now and ended up not cutting the mirror to put in permanat shelving but it's going to depend on how much counter space you have to give up.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare /forum/post/0

Well, I had a 6'4" space behind my bar to do the same... so I went ahead and put a track in the middle and used two 3/8" glass shelves, each about 38" long. Here's a shot:

More on my basement website

Given how stong those shelves are, I'd bet even 3/8" would be ok for a 4' shelf. A 1/2" piece should be no problem at all.

I got the black metal track at Home Depot (made by Rubbermaid) that has a bit more style than the regular old stuff you might use for garage shelves, and I'm very pleased with the look.

Depending on the look you are going for, consider bronzed mirrors... they are more expensive, but I'm glad I did it.

Steve,

I love your backbar. Do you see any "bounce" or droop in that shelf? That is a lot of weight when you consider removing and replacing bottles when things get hectic (okay, I mean I get clumsy when I am serving and drinking).

I really like that look!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ /forum/post/0

Steve,

I love your backbar. Do you see any "bounce" or droop in that shelf? That is a lot of weight when you consider removing and replacing bottles when things get hectic (okay, I mean I get clumsy when I am serving and drinking).

I really like that look!

Thanks!

No. None whatsoever with the 38" span and 3/8" glass. Even if I set a full 1.75 liter bottle in the middle.... As a matter of fact I wouldn't hesitate to put an entire shelf worth of full 1.75 liter bottles. (Although I do have some overhang on each shelf end... so my actual supported span is probably on the order of 36"). I actually was worried more about my brackets having correct backing in the wall more so than the glass.

I suspect 1/2" may be serious overkill... but maybe buy a 3/8" and test with bricks? (Shopping around, I paid about $30 per 38" x 6" shelf, I believe... although the fist several places I called wanted twice that.

On Edit: Hey, you're in Manassass! The place I got the glass from was in Leesburg. Let me know if you want their contact info...

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
It was Banner glass:

Banner Glass Inc -

305 Industrial Ct SE # B, Leesburg, VA

(703) 777-2230

Bronzed mirrors have glass that is tinted (similar to smoked glass used for entertainment centers, etc...). To me its a nice effect for decorative mirrors.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Perfection! Beautiful back bar!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually got the glass from Dulles Glass here in Manassas. But thanks for the info you supplied.

Now I have to decide IF I want to undertake building the front bar to go under those pendant lights, or take the easy route and just put in some cafe tables...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I believe we are all in agreement that you need to start your bar build so we can watch the progress..... Cafe tables are for sissies....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.