AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K., I have not looked at this site for over a year after I upgraded my 3060 to an 120Gig drive. I'm back now because I just bought a 5040 because of the going out of business sale. Am I stupid? Perhaps I should have waited to see what D/M is going to do with this business but I just didn't want to take the chance that this was going to be the last of a great line of Replay Machines.

Anyway, I got the machine programed in last night and noticed immediately a few bad differenced between the 3060 and the 5040. First, the old remote was better because it was more universal. I now can't use the new remote to toggle between the vcr/tv settings on my tv so that I can watch one channel while Replay records another. The play buttom now no longer starts playing at the beginning of the show. I'll have to see if there's a new shortcut. I'm going to stay with the old remote just so I can have the vcr/tv capability.

The second thing is that the rewind on the new machines don't work well. I usually record my tv shows at the normal setting and with the old machine it would rewind and start playing at the exact place that I want it to. The new one however, overshoots the target and always starts eralier than I want. It's really annoying to try to microtune to the place you want to. Bad stoftware design I guess?

Another thing I don't like is the fact that the machine has always be playing something. The old machine has a top button for recorded program, the new one will force you to watch "something"...that's annoying also because what if you want to give your drive head a break?

The new machines are also SLOWER than the old. What the heck does that say? The normal thing is for tech products to improve not decline?

So what do you think, is it worth activating it for life or just stick to month to month?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Get lifetime if you plan on keeping it at all.

Btw, the thing doesn't make you watch something all the time. Finish a show, delete it, then hit exit from the Guide. It will be on the splash screen.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcc
So what do you think, is it worth activating it for life or just stick to month to month?
I would activate lifetime. Most of what you don't like are either software issues that can be fixed or something you'll grow used to and wonder in a month why you even cared. Use jp1 programming for the remote. Search for jp1 to see how.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would activate lifetime. On my Tivo I ended up going month to month for almost 2 years. Was the stupidest thing I ever did. I knew a month into it I was going to keep the Tivo. After 2 years I had nothing. I will never make that type of mistake again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.