Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on 2 seats in front row and would like three in rear row -

All identical seats - I dont want to go too high due to a soffit which will fall in front of second row seats - front row seats will most likely be under soffit.

How high should a riser be - 4" 6" 8" 12" any logic?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mikecazzx, all depends on how much head room you've got. Like my case I am using 2x6 as joist because of the low ceiling.

Ken

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mikecazzx:

There are too many variables to give you a direct answer. Length and height of the room; size, AR, placement and height off the floor of the screen; dimensions, row placement and number seats.

Your best bet is to draw up your room on paper or in a application like Visio, and put the seats on the drawing in their approximate positions.

Draw lines from the positions of where the viewer will have their heads to the top and bottom of the screen, and see if the front row interferes with the second row's view.

Out theater second row is on a 16" riser with lighted 8" steps on both sides. Theater is 13' by 18' with 9' ceiling, first row is at 10' and second is at 15'. Screen is 36" off of floor.

Hope that helps.

Steve

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your right - just too general a question -

I will go the low tech route and place a chair on 6" 8" 10" etc till I see where I need it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Riser height should be about the height of somebody's head, which is what you're trying to see over in the first place.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Rosback
Riser height should be about the height of somebody's head, which is what you're trying to see over in the first place.
Ok, but whos head? Different people have different head sizes.

I am going to need an example head. Does AVS sell those? Whats the gain on an example head?

KIDDING! We are such technophiles I swear.

Ok so I would go with about 8 "- 12 ". Just enough to fall over in the dark.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Actually, I had someone walk off my third row riser which is 28" high. We had planned on putting in a railing at that end, but figured everyone was smart enough to know there was a big step there. Well, a 50 year old woman proved us wrong.

I measured how high I wanted my screen and how high the backs were on the front row. Then I measured how high the eye position is when reclined. Then I made our riser 14" high so that the middle row (reclined) can see over the front row (upright) and the back row of theater seats can see over all of them.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just finished a riser for my Home theater. I built it out of 2x8's and 3/4" plywood. After putting it in place and placing a leather loveseat on the riser and a sofa in front of it on the lower level, the clearence was perfect!! I hade my girlfriend sit int the rear seating (she's 5'-4") and I sat in the front (I'm 6') and she could see over my head to the bottom of the screen. I must mention that my ceiling height in the basement is 7'-6" and the botom of my screen is about 20" off the floor.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Toxarch
Actually, I had someone walk off my third row riser which is 28" high. We had planned on putting in a railing at that end, but figured everyone was smart enough to know there was a big step there. Well, a 50 year old woman proved us wrong.

Ouch! Did any alcohol play into this?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
No, no alcohol. She was fine and kinda caught herself on the wall. I think she was trying to step down to the lower riser and avoid getting in people's way. So she might have just stepped down off the middle riser funny. It might have been before I had the rope lights installed under the riser lip. Either that, or those riser lights were off.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
This is an answer from a similar question I replyed to a while back. A few simple measurements and you'll be able to figure the exact riser height you need:

"Measure the height of a person seated in the front row (floor to top of head (as well as eye height, to be used later)) and subtract the height to the bottom of the screen. Divide this by the distance to the front row viewers eyes (in inches), and you have the RISE/INCH measurement. Multiply this by the distance to the rear viewers eyes (in inches). Add the screen height, and you will have the height the rear viewers eyes need to be, to clear the front row heads. Subtract the height of the seated viewer's eyes, and you have the riser height.

Here's an example using your given measurements and some guesses:

Height of 1st row heads: 42" (guess)

Height of first row eyes: 36" (guess)

Height of screen bottom: 24" (given)

Distance 1st row viewing: 132" (guess based on given)

Distance 2nd row viewing: 192" (guess based on given)

42-24=18

18/132=.1364 RISE/INCH

.1364*192=26.2

26.2+24=50.2

50.2-36=14.2" Riser

Using the above numbers, in order for the rear viewers to see all of the screen above the front viewer's heads, you would need a riser of no less than 14.2". In order for an 8" riser to work, you would have to raise your screen up a little more than 12".

When I built my riser, I added a couple of inches just in case there were taller people up front and shorter people in the back; or in case the back row felt like slouching down a bit, and the front row didn't. So far, not a single view blocked!"

Rob

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Keep in mind that you not only want great sightlines, but you also want good sound. If your center channel is under your screen you might find some of the stratospheric recommendations to increase the distance from your second row to the tweeter height on your CC. I built mine on 2 X 8's with two layers of 5/8" OSB and I have no problems in my setup. Also, the higher you go, the necessity of adding a step is a feature that I wanted to avoid to save space.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robbyc30
This is an answer from a similar question I replyed to a while back. A few simple measurements and you'll be able to figure the exact riser height you need:

"Measure the height of a person seated in the front row (floor to top of head (as well as eye height, to be used later)) and subtract the height to the bottom of the screen. Divide this by the distance to the front row viewers eyes (in inches), and you have the RISE/INCH measurement. Multiply this by the distance to the rear viewers eyes (in inches). Add the screen height, and you will have the height the rear viewers eyes need to be, to clear the front row heads. Subtract the height of the seated viewer's eyes, and you have the riser height.

Here's an example using your given measurements and some guesses:

Height of 1st row heads: 42" (guess)

Height of first row eyes: 36" (guess)

Height of screen bottom: 24" (given)

Distance 1st row viewing: 132" (guess based on given)

Distance 2nd row viewing: 192" (guess based on given)

42-24=18

18/132=.1364 RISE/INCH

.1364*192=26.2

26.2+24=50.2

50.2-36=14.2" Riser

Using the above numbers, in order for the rear viewers to see all of the screen above the front viewer's heads, you would need a riser of no less than 14.2". In order for an 8" riser to work, you would have to raise your screen up a little more than 12".

When I built my riser, I added a couple of inches just in case there were taller people up front and shorter people in the back; or in case the back row felt like slouching down a bit, and the front row didn't. So far, not a single view blocked!"

Rob

I'm dizzy after reading Rob's response.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.