AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I am a recent college grad and new to the home theater world, but have slowly been piecing together a system. I have recently moved out to a new apartment and was hoping for some help with the back speaker placement. Right now I have one above the fireplace and the other in the back corner. Both speaker are actually facing the corner instead of directly into the room. I was wondering what would be the best placement for the back speakers if I was to mount them on the walls? Also, if somebody else has any other home home theater setups in regard to the room layout to improve I would be happy to hear them. Please see pictures below, and I am happy to answer any questions.

Couch in doorway is about 9' away from the TV
Couch against wall wall is about 6' away from the TV

PS: I do not expect my setup to be perfect since it is not the ideal room setup for a 5.1 system, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Tough room, especially if you're just renting. Is the fireplace functional/ used?
My best advice for the existing layout would be to come up with enough speaker wire to experiment, before you start drilling any holes. Think outside the box. Try moving the one on the mantel further along that wall so you can place it behind the couch. Try facing the speakers straight up, or into the corners, anything to try to create a soundfield behind your viewing position(s). Maybe up high, tight to the ceiling, centered on each couch, pointed straight down?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tough room, especially if you're just renting. Is the fireplace functional/ used?
My best advice for the existing layout would be to come up with enough speaker wire to experiment, before you start drilling any holes. Think outside the box. Try moving the one on the mantel further along that wall so you can place it behind the couch. Try facing the speakers straight up, or into the corners, anything to try to create a soundfield behind your viewing position(s). Maybe up high, tight to the ceiling, centered on each couch, pointed straight down?
The fireplace is usable so that is why I am not sure if we should mount the tv over top of it (no room for center speaker). I was thinking on the edge of the couch where the plaster wall meets the brick wall, and another halfway down the other couch on the wall. Thoughts?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Looks a little more centered with the overall seating area than your current setup. How high up and what direction are you thinking of placing the front face of the speaker?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I wouldn't angle them into the room too much, more straight down, say aimed at your knees when your seated. That or straight down, if that's easier.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't angle them into the room too much, more straight down, say aimed at your knees when your seated. That or straight down, if that's easier.
I have B&W Rock Solid Monitor speakers. So they can swivel around 270 degrees. The direction is not an issue. You can see a picture of the speaker attached.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts