AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the room's shape, I cannot place speakers on both sides of the couch. There's a wall on the right, but no walls on the left. I do however have a wall behind the couch.

My question is, could I put surround speakers on the back wall, like in a 7.1 setup but no left/right surrounds.

Or it won't sound good and should stay with a 3.1?

Speakers will be either Klipsch S2 or RF25

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
How far behind you are we talking? And are they directly behind you or more to the back corners?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
it would guive you much better sound than 3.1 for multichannel music or movies. id go for it. alternately you could do some sort of ceiling mount option (or stands for that matter)---have a freind who did that (ceiling mount for back 2 speakers-and it worked out well but it may not be possible depending on your house and room construction.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/15483296

How far behind you are we talking? And are they directly behind you or more to the back corners?

The wall is 7ft behind the couch. The back speakers could be aligned with the front speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile /forum/post/15483351

it would guive you much better sound than 3.1 for multichannel music or movies. id go for it. alternately you could do some sort of ceiling mount option (or stands for that matter)---have a freind who did that (ceiling mount for back 2 speakers-and it worked out well but it may not be possible depending on your house and room construction.

Ceiling mounting would not be possible as there is no wood beam in the area they'd have to be mounted.

I thought about stands but they'd also be problematic. They have to be at some distance from the couch, but the problem is the left one would have to be right in the middle of the walking space between the living room and the kitchen (which is 3-4 ft wide). Not possible.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
My question is, could I put surround speakers on the back wall, like in a 7.1 setup but no left/right surrounds.

Yes you absolutely could. No, it is not ideal, cohesion to the fronts will be poor. Yes IMO it is definitely better than no surround (3.1) at all.

·
Registered
30,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekO /forum/post/15482443

could I put surround speakers on the back wall, like in a 7.1 setup but no left/right surrounds

Sure, but I would spread them as far apart as symmetrically possible, in order to have better stereo separation in the surround field.
Quote:
Speakers will be either Klipsch S2 or RF25

Instead of the RF-25 floorstanders, consider the RB-25 bookshelf version, which can be mounted higher up for greater envelopment.

Sanjay

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/15488816

Instead of the RF-25 floorstanders, consider the RB-25 bookshelf version, which can be mounted higher up for greater envelopment.

My mistake, it was a typo. I had RS-25 in mind.

Thanks for the answers guys

·
Registered
30,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekO /forum/post/15490227

I had RS-25 in mind.

I'd still get the RB-25, since they can be aimed at the listening area when mounted on the back wall (can't do that with the RS-25).

Sanjay

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By aimed you mean slightly tilting them downward so they're 'looking over' the couch?

I don't see how the RS can't be arranged in a similar fashion since both seems to use the 'nail-hole' in the back.

The RS also have two horns instead of one, which I assume would create a wider sound, thus helping with my below average speaker placement position.

·
Registered
30,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekO /forum/post/15493822

By aimed you mean slightly tilting them downward so they're 'looking over' the couch?

I mean tilting them down and toeing them in towards the sweet spot. The RB being a vertical bookshelf speaker, it would be easier attach to speaker mounts and toe in compared to the RS, which is a lot wider (you'd need to move it away from the back wall to rotate/toe them).
Quote:
The RS also have two horns instead of one, which I assume would create a wider sound, thus helping with my below average speaker placement position.

One of the horns would be pointed towards the listeners, the other would be pointed away, while the mid/woofer would be pointed directly forward. Personally, I'd want all the drivers pointed towards the listening area. But if you prefer a more diffuse sound, then that's what the RS will deliver.

Sanjay

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I am in a similar dilemma. I was trying to follow dolby's 110 degree guideline for a 7.1 set up, but it seems my current angle is more than 110. General consensus is that shouldn't be problematic, but it apparently is or I am doing something else wrong as my sound quality is poor

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
LOL really the surrounds for the home should be lined-out along the sidewalls evenly spaced to provide defused sound field within the centre phantom signal that will uniformly do the same trick as it does in the cinema.

When there is discrete sidewall information happening it will give the illusion of zipping whooshing along the sides for ever seat possible.

You shouldn’t restrict its limitations even thou it limited you’d think each surround speaker would be playing an individual sound, wow how many tracks would that mean!?

It may not look attractive but it sure sounds neat as its only half finished on that phase still lots more of work to do, I’m not made of money you know I only have one pair of hands.

The centre back performed great last night as it always dose when engaged with Wall•E sounds panned along the sidewalls as Eve and Wall•E are pursued in the hallways on the Axiom.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I need to put mine right behind me as well... mine will be even worse. Ear level only a few feet almost a straight back. Should have just got di-polars. Might double up the channel in the future i.e. add a second speaker to each of the rear channels and have it be dipolar and mounted higher on the wall.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
Do you have walls on the left and right side, goonstopher? If so, you can try aiming the speakers outward toward the side walls.

For everyone in this thread who is contemplating less than ideal placement, oftentimes placement compromises must be made. As long as the placement is reasonable, I would not worry about it too much. You do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
One wall is right next the the speaker and the other speaker points into the back of a sleigh bed. So one would redirect off the wall RIGHT next to it and the other would go into a "chamber" behind a sleigh bed. If I move it forward a bit then the closest wall on that side is 10 feet away.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/15509283

............the other speaker points into the back of a sleigh bed. .............would go into a "chamber" behind a sleigh bed.
Why would you deliberately place a speaker THERE? Can you not raise the speaker so that it is not firing into the back of the bed?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
i mean if I try to point it out then it will point there. Now it is in to the listening position.

I would love to build a shelf for it but I am not confident I can secure a 13" deap shelf to a single beam.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/15509699

i mean if I try to point it out then it will point there. Now it is in to the listening position.

I would love to build a shelf for it but I am not confident I can secure a 13" deap shelf to a single beam.

Well, ideally you want the surround speakers to be the same height. How high is the the left surround? And can you not slide the bed over to the right a bit?

I'm going to paste your pic form the other thread, here:

·
Registered
6,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekO /forum/post/15482443

It's done all the time (same as my system). Go with the 5.1 setup. Just wire the surround speakers to the L & R surround outputs and not the rear outputs.

Reading material:

http://www.grammy.com/PDFs/Recording...rs/5_1_Rec.pdf

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
It's done all the time (same as my system). Go with the 5.1 setup. Just wire the surround speakers to the L & R surround outputs and not the rear outputs.

I agree. I think this was the main point all along.

Even though they are located at the back of the room, they're still the surround/side speakers as far as setup/connection for 5.1 is concerned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts