AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to make my system 7.1 but want to know whats the minimum if any of the distance from the couch to the back wall where the back surrounds are mounted

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
+1. Mine are 6ft behind me and sound great.

Two other options for 7.1 if you have a capable receiver is to not use rear surrounds but either front high speakers or front wide speakers. You would need a receiver capable of Dolby PLIIz and/or Audyssey DSX or DTS NeoX.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn! I only have 1ft , well 5.1 it is ...

I don't get what high or wide speakers will do in relation to 7.1 setup?

·
Registered
31,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaven
Damn! I only have 1ft , well 5.1 it is ...
That close to the back wall and you wouldn't get any meaningful separation between the sides and rears. Better stick with a good 5.1 set-up than shoe-horn a poor 7.1 layout in your room.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaven /forum/post/20890580

I don't get what high or wide speakers will do in relation to 7.1 setup?

If you use a 7.1 setup with front wides your front soundstage will be more enveloping. Rear sounds will not be heard from the speakers, the avr will do algorithms to provide sounds that are up front but very wide.

If you use a 7.1 setup with front highs your front soundstage will now have a 3 dimensional sound to it. For instance if there is rain in a movie it will start in the highs and move down to your front L&R making it seem like its actually falling rain. Again your avr will do its thing. Like I said earlier you have to have an avr that is capable of these formats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.