AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question regarding speakers with passive radiators in back of enclosure, I have previously owned a set with front passive radiators. My situation is that I bought of small bookshelf speakers to use as back surrounds in a 7.1 setup. With the passive radiator (6.5") does it need room to breathe between back of speaker and wall? If it does what is the recommended minimum space required, considering their use as back surrounds?

thx in advance, and I could not find any pertinent info using search
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo /forum/post/14335034


question regarding speakers with passive radiators in back of enclosure, I have previously owned a set with front passive radiators. My situation is that I bought of small bookshelf speakers to use as back surrounds in a 7.1 setup. With the passive radiator (6.5") does it need room to breathe between back of speaker and wall? If it does what is the recommended minimum space required, considering their use as back surrounds?

thx in advance, and I could not find any pertinent info using search

Yeah, you need some space back there, but not too much. Probably less than you'd need for a port. If the speakers are going to be run as SMALL, with a relatively high xover, the passive radiator may not even really produce much sound, if any.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/14335198


Y If the speakers are going to be run as SMALL, with a relatively high xover, the passive radiator may not even really produce much sound, if any.

that is why I designated rear surrounds.... I will placing them on a shelf, so I will be limited space behind the speaker. Xover setting will be analyzed by Audyssey MultEQxt. I may raise them up a bit depending on how low Multeq sets them...


Any one else with some experience please feel free to ad your 2 cents...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo /forum/post/14335237


that is why I designated rear surrounds.... I will placing them on a shelf, so I will be limited space behind the speaker.

Pull them as far forward as possible. Sticking out a bit over the edge is a good thing.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top