AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back-to-Basics Media Room Plays Well

By Arlen Schweiger
Collaboration between custom electronics pro, interior designer, builder and homeowners made this "basic" room special for this family.


Sometimes basic is best. At least, what a custom electronics professional might refer to as basic.


The result could still be looked upon as very special by the homeowners, especially when it combines ease of use, uncluttered and visually appealing TV installation and attention to what the rest of the room design is like. That's what these homeowners received, and it makes for a sweet spot for them to relax with television and full surround sound.




The homeowners specified the equipment to be hidden when not in use. They also specified the cabinet that holds the TV should match their decor. This is a pretty typical request from our customers, says Ryan Herd of New Jersey-based 1 Sound Choice. We wanted to install a back-to-the-basics, fundamentally sound, bulletproof audio/video system that is extremely easy to use.


Here it is, with the system consisting mainly of a Pioneer 50 plasma TV, Pioneer receiver for the family room and Sony Blu-ray player. On the audio end, a 5.1 system consisting of a Pinnacle front LCR soundbar, Emphasys in-wall rear speakers and a Pinnacle subwoofer serve up the surround sound. The front soundbar was neatly installed just below the plasma TV.


The control system is Control4, which also allows the homeowners to command the lighting, an important part of watching movies and TV shows in this space with all of its curtain-laden windows. Again, all the equipment is proven to be basically bulletproof for simple operation and navigation for anyone in the house or guests.

Click here to continue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/18205322


Article states that a soundbar was used, yet I see bookshelf speakers on stands. Were these part of a different system?

Yeah, strange. Maybe they use those bookshelf speakers for music, but needed a Center for 5.1, and then decided a sound bar looked more integrated or maybe sounds better than separates, which I would question.


Our family room 50" plasma is high over a fireplace exactly like that, and (5) in-ceiling 6" round speakers about 2' from the walls work really well for both 5.1 and music. You expect the sound to come from above since the tv is so high. The Center channel reflects right off the plasma screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmagee /forum/post/18206077


Yeah, strange. Maybe they use those bookshelf speakers for music, but needed a Center for 5.1, and then decided a sound bar looked more integrated or maybe sounds better than separates, which I would question.


Our family room 50" plasma is high over a fireplace exactly like that, and (5) in-ceiling 6" round speakers about 2' from the walls work really well for both 5.1 and music. You expect the sound to come from above since the tv is so high. The Center channel reflects right off the plasma screen.

the sound bar can also hang on the wall.


My only problem with this setup is that you have to crane your neck to watch anything on the screen. In a perfect world, the center of the television wouldn't be any higher than your eyeballs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
The bookshelf speakers on the stands placed hard in the corners, someone missed the course on speaker placement 101.


Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,415 Posts
TV is way to high. The install absolutly screams we don't really want a TV in this room but if we must we don't really care about making it a functional media environment.


It looks like the homeowners are doing well for themselves, they'll need that money for the chiropractor. What a waste of a really nice plasma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothius82 /forum/post/18206196


My only problem with this setup is that you have to crane your neck to watch anything on the screen. In a perfect world, the center of the television wouldn't be any higher than your eyeballs.

Our plasma is maybe 6" lower than that one, and angled downward slightly. The angle visually pulls the TV away from the wall, so it's not ideal aesthetically. The bigger problem is that, yes, it DOES strain your neck if you're sitting down and closer than about 12'. I lost that design debate with the wife, and we might someday move it to the side wall (I wired both locations and positioned the in-ceiling speakers symmetrically so I could re-assign the "front" easily). We also have a basement media lounge with plasma+projection for more dedicated viewing, so we mostly use our Family Room fireplace plasma for background TV from other rooms in the open floor plan, when standing, etc. In fact, that height is one of the few places where a bunch of people standing in the room can all see it. And, interestingly it's very comfortable when lying down on your back in front of the fireplace. Overall, I don't recommend that high for a primary TV, but has its advantages at times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/18209977


It's obviously not a dedicated theater room, and it's completely possible that that was the only spot to put a TV.

Fireplaces are usually on exterior walls, and therefore don't face windows. So they often are the best wall for avoiding glare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
I agree with previous comments, TV is too high and speakers need to be better integrated in the room. I also think they should have used a good, matched center channel rather than a sound bar. We also have our TV above the fireplace but worked with our builder to bring down the mantle shelf much lower than they would have normally put it so the TV is as low as possible without looking strange ascetically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothius82 /forum/post/18206196


the sound bar can also hang on the wall.


My only problem with this setup is that you have to crane your neck to watch anything on the screen. In a perfect world, the center of the television wouldn't be any higher than your eyeballs.

The draw back of installing the video display over the fireplace.....beside the hideous looks.


My brother did this in his new house and I'm sorry.....but it's just too high.


My neck hurts for hours after I leave his house.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top