AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm very reluctant to upgrade, or as I see it, take on new bugs. And I always have a rationale. My biggest stumbling block has been the pre-pro and my latest excuse was that I was considering converting my 5.1 system to Atmos. Last week Emotiva moved me off the block with the refurbished XMC-1 (with the HDMI 2.0b board) for $1199. So my 15 year old Anthem AVM-20 will get pulled soon. My 5.1 system, now upgraded to a 2016-2017 standard, will slave on playing my really big collection of multichannel music and movies in 2D.

Heck, I think I have one Atmos disc, and my gut feel is that the future of Atmos music streaming will likely be a specialty channel through the TV. So the plan now is to go with a new OLED in the bedroom and a high end beamforming soundbar next year.

Reactions: Bill Mac

·
Registered
14,656 Posts
I'm very reluctant to upgrade, or as I see it, take on new bugs. And I always have a rationale. My biggest stumbling block has been the pre-pro and my latest excuse was that I was considering converting my 5.1 system to Atmos. Last week Emotiva moved me off the block with the refurbished XMC-1 (with the HDMI 2.0b board) for $1199. So my 15 year old Anthem AVM-20 will get pulled soon. My 5.1 system, now upgraded to a 2016-2017 standard, will slave on playing my really big collection of multichannel music and movies in 2D.

Heck, I think I have one Atmos disc, and my gut feel is that the future of Atmos music streaming will likely be a specialty channel through the TV. So the plan now is to go with a new OLED in the bedroom and a high end beamforming soundbar next year.
Jim, Good luck with the XMC-1! I love mine as I'm listening to Yes' Fragile DVD-A in surround cranked :D. I had an Anthem AVM-30 back in the day and thought it was an excellent processor. Sold it to step into the HDMI world and bought an Onkyo AVR then a prepro. At times I regretted the "upgrade" as the AVM-30 was a better sounding unit especially with music.

I never updated the HDMI board as I do not have a 4k display or any desire from Atmos. The other factor is I was concerned about possible issues with the update. I'm also reluctant to do any upgrades at this time. Why mess with a good thing ;).

Bill

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Bill...

Your endorsement of the Emotiva is a key one for me. Although I've gone HDMI on the video, the Emotiva's 7.1 input will let me continue with my "analog" bass management for SACD. ("analog" in quotes because while I use an analog mixer (Outlaw Audio ICBM), I digitize and room correct the subwoofer channel (DSSpeaker anti-mode). Anyway, the thing fits in my rack and shouldn't be too disruptive until I start playing with Dirac.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts