AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sofa is against the backwall, I am looking to hang a sheet of eggcrate foam on that wall, hopefully it will clear up any reverbs that may be bouncing off the back wall and give a boomy feeling, and make things (esp. bass) sound more clear, before I get a EQ.

do you think the foam would work? Thanks

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
No. You'll need much thicker and heavier absorption.

Tim

·
Registered
5,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal /forum/post/18186124

My sofa is against the backwall, I am looking to hang a sheet of eggcrate foam on that wall, hopefully it will clear up any reverbs that may be bouncing off the back wall and give a boomy feeling, and make things (esp. bass) sound more clear, before I get a EQ.

do you think the foam would work? Thanks

Totally worthless. Google "bass traps".

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
They may absorb some high frequencies (a little). The foam is closed cell -- not open cell (which is what you want). Additionally, it is not even closed to being thick enough to be useful.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal /forum/post/18186379

so the egg crate/wedges don't do anything to absorb bass?

thanks

Nope. Google "bass traps" and you will learn why.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal /forum/post/0

so the egg crate/wedges don't do anything to absorb bass?

It will absorb some bass but the absorptive coefficient for egg crates is probably 0.08 at 250 Hz. In other words, it is useless and shouldn't be considered.

Since I am a nice individual I'll explain in depth why foam isn't useful and I'll try not to be cryptic about it and ask you to search google for answers. The answer ? Foam has very poor gas flow properties.

The end.

Do you have any other questions ?

Regards,

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
having a sofa against the wall is a big compromise that you have deal with (I know because I deal with mine). You need 5 or 6" of OC703, you can build them into panels and hang them all the wall.

DIY, is pretty easy and for a

Here is my newest DIY panel on the floor in front of my speaker (Im using it for measurements) but it will hang on the back wall afterwards.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18189174

having a sofa against the wall is a big compromise that you have deal with (I know because I deal with mine). You need 5 or 6" of OC703, you can build them into panels and hang them all the wall.

DIY, is pretty easy and for a

Here is my newest DIY panel on the floor in front of my speaker (Im using it for measurements) but it will hang on the back wall afterwards.

Nice looking wall of sound you got there. Are those all home brew? What are the ribbon tweeter ones with the the quilted maple fronts I see?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
btw, here is my back wall, with 6" of treatment, custom built into my room.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmaven /forum/post/18189242

Nice looking wall of sound you got there. Are those all home brew or is that a pair of Selah monitors with the the quilted maple fronts I see?

Its all my DIY speakers. I just had them in the room for measuring. The latest ones are the waveguides and they are staying the other ones are leaving the room.

I never had them all one at once but I thought it was a cool picture to take this past weekend!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18189260

Its all my DIY speakers. I just had them in the room for measuring. The latest ones are the waveguides and they are staying the other ones are leaving the room.

I never had them all one at once but I thought it was a cool picture to take this past weekend!

Ha! You were too fast on the reply button ! I edited my post when I realized that those were obviously not Selah monitors, your ribbon tweeter is much bigger than theirs. Nice woodwork!

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmaven /forum/post/18189512

Ha! You were too fast on the reply button ! I edited my post when I realized that those were obviously not Selah monitors, your ribbon tweeter was much bigger than theirs. Nice woodwork!

THanks, Yeah the ribbons I use are the more expensive Fountek Neopro5i, Im actually going to waveguide designs so I need to find a new home for the ribbons, Im going to have 5 unused.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten /forum/post/18189159

Since I am a nice individual I'll explain in depth why foam isn't useful and I'll try not to be cryptic about it and ask you to search google for answers. The answer ? Foam has very poor gas flow properties.

The end.

My gosh! Why didn't I realize that! Thank you for clearing that up. Your response was so helpful.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/0

I'm sure the OP appreciates your contribution too.

I really hope so too. I spent a lot of time and effort putting all the information together into a single line. I think I nailed it. Obviously it pales in comparison to your in depth contributions but still.

Regards,

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal /forum/post/18190863

So get the oc703 (2" thick) and then frame and cover it up?

I would say double up the 2" thick stuff so its 4" thick.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts