AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me out please?
I am going to use 4 Polk Audio MC60 ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos and everyone says in-ceiling speakers sound way better with a backer box.
I was just about to go build some before I install the speakers but decided to check if there is an ideal size for backer boxes first.
Now I've wasted a ton of time and have gotten completely confused if I should even use backer boxes or not.

They will be installed in between my floor joists in my basement which is currently filled with safe'n'sound insulation.
So can someone tell me if I should or shouldn't please.

• 6.5" Dynamic Balance Polymer Composite Cones for smooth wide-range response with low distortion.
• 3/4" Aimable Silk Dome Tweeter With Neodymium Magnet for clear, detailed highs and excellent imaging even for off-axis listening positions.
• Infinite Baffle Tuning uses the virtual enclosure of in-wall space for superior bass response.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to check with the manufacturer if they can be installed in a enclosure.
OK will do.
If they can then I assume that would improve the speakers performance?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just talked to tech support and he said an enclosure may improve bass response and tighten up mid response slightly, but he figured for surround sound purposes I would be hard pressed to notice any sonic differences from enclosed to open.

He also said enclosure dimensions should be between 1 cu. ft. - 1.2 cu. ft.

I'm thinking it's not a big enough benefit/difference to bother with.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Just talked to tech support and he said an enclosure may improve bass response and tighten up mid response slightly, but he figured for surround sound purposes I would be hard pressed to notice any sonic differences from enclosed to open.

He also said enclosure dimensions should be between 1 cu. ft. - 1.2 cu. ft.

I'm thinking it's not a big enough benefit/difference to bother with.
The benefit would be noise reduction if you're trying to isolate sound from traveling above. Apparently you can use backbones for in-celing cans if they're retro fit style.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing-installation-manuals/sim-backer-box/

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great link. Thanks.
Now to figure out placement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts