AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using dvdshrink for some time now. I have been ripping copies of the dvd's I own to hdd so I can view them immediately from my htpc. It has worked flawlessly with TT as long as you put all the files in the video_ts directory.

My confusion is putting these same dvd's to dvd-r for backup. I borrowed a burner (Sony CDRU510 I believe) from work. I thought I could simply take this video_ts folder and burn its contents directly to a dvd-r and it should play in a set top box dvd player which can play dvd-rs. Well, I did just that and it didn't work. My friend backs up copies of his dvds onto dvd-r and his played fine. However, he doesn't reauthor anything. He simply burns all the contents and compresses them. My video_ts folders are stripped down to only have the DTS or DD bitstream and the movie and that's it. Could this be why my set top box can't play them? I plan to do some testing this weekend but I was curious if others knew whether or not I was heading in the right direction or not.

Thanks.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The standard used by STB is fairly clear and the burned DVD-R must comply to those standards. For example, there must be a VIDEO_TS folder in the root. It must be all capital letters. There must be a VIDEO_TS.IFO file in that folder, again in all caps. The IFO data must follow a standard.

Playback from the HTPC does not require a lot of these requirements. So, it may playback from the HTPC but not in a STB after burning to DVD-R.

You can use IMGTool on top of Nero, or use Nero and burn as a DVD-Video type disc. It does the necessary checks to make sure the disc will playback on the STB.

Note - DVDShrinp 3 beta 5 is still buggy, ocassionally creating problems IFOs that won't playback.

·
Registered
676 Posts
AUDIO_TS folder is needed as well. My post was not meant to be inclusive. There are other naming conventions that are in the standard. That is why I suggested using NERO DVD-Video type since it covers the basic checks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.