AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea where to post this so forgive me, A friend is in the process of backing up his dvds to his media server, and going to stream them to his soon to be had, Appletv. this is the question i have. he is putting sd-dvds in to 1280x720 @ 24fps. is that going to look good on a 40 something plasma? Will this remove the letterboxing or a just completely skew the image, or is this the right thing to do?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'd wait for the box to arrive, and then find out the best res to encode the files at (Something like 720/640*360, or 720/640*480 with the proper aspect flags set, and let the AppleTV scale it to 1280*720. Hopefully it is smart enough to honor any aspect flags set in the file. I don't think encoding to 1280 would be worth the effort unless the scaler in the AppleTV blows, or he plans to throw some really impressive scaling filters at it to try and improve apon the internal scaler.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
see thats what i think. I dont see any reason to use the appletv as it limits you to what is in your itunes, for 300$?! so i think hes trying to shut me up about it. He doesnt know anything about HT components let alone scalers, hence hes getting an appletv. I thinks its a huge waste of money. It will ONLY accept H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): 640 by 480, 30 fps, LC version of Baseline Profile; 320 by 240, 30 fps, Baseline profile up to Level 1.3; 1280 by 720, 24 fps, Progressive Main Profile. MPEG-4: 640 by 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm interested in this appletv too. I would wait and see what it will actually accept. I have read on the internet that they are going to have a updated version of itunes for the appelTv. It would be nice if it did 720x480 h.264.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.