AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first Plasma yesterday, the TH-42PX50 Panasonic and I'm now in the process of constructing a custom cabinet to house it and my electronics. Some time ago I read some posts about installing some backlighting behind the Plasma for better viewing when the room is dark but, I can't find those posts now.

Would someone please help me out?

Thanks;

TRJohns

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Not sure about plasma, but RPTV looks best with a backlight or an ambient light level. The problem is in the blacks. In order to get a bright picture, they throw a lot of light through every pixel. Black on these TVs isn't true black, but a dark grey. With all the lights off that becomes obvious. The opposite is direct-view CRT which has excellent black levels, but washes out with any ambient light.

Check in the Plasma Displays forum for more info.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
I think the phrase is aspect lighting or something like that. There are bulbs that can be purchased that set the right color tempature. I think Philips has one built into one of there models.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Bulbs? In plasma? :p

If you mean RP, then the black levels can be improved by inserting a grey filter in the optical path. (Something that should only be done as part of calibration by a pro.) But that doesn't cure the problem.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Phillips has a line of plasmas with bulbs mounted behind them that light the wall (they call the technology Ambilight - it changes color based on the program material). Here is some info on that.

I haven't seen any threads on DIY backlighting, sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.