AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope you guys can give me a straight answer. Currently whenever I need to backup a DVD to put on my NAS I convert it using DVDFab 8 (free version) that creates a TS folder. I then open that up in DVDShrink and create a full size VOB that is usually anywhere from 5-8GB. Space really isn't too much of an issue and this method is relatively quick and easy. My problem is every once in a while I want to take one of those with me on a USB drive that is formatted Fat32 (4gb file size limit). I was thinking of buying the full version of DVDfab or AnyDVD so that I can skip all this and go straight to converting to a h.264 file that would be smaller (less than 4GB) but just as good in quality as my VOB's that I'm currently creating. I tried this out in DVDfab 8 and it took FOREVER to create a 3gb file. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions for my workflow? What size file should I be looking at creating?

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
That's normal depending on the PC you are doing this on. It has to go and re-render (for lack of knowing a better term) the movie as it's writing the file to reduce the resolution. I know when I do this for the PSP using PSP9, it does take a long time.

Also, you can use vobmerge to make a single file, unless you are wanting to shrink it too in the process.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19583712

Also, you can use vobmerge to make a single file, unless you are wanting to shrink it too in the process.

My VOB's are actually 1 file so they end up as one 5-8gb file. I guess I could split the VOB in half if I wanted to take it somewhere. Does anyone know of a good reliable VOB splitter? I've tried some crappy one's in the past that were overly complex. All I need it to do is split.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I would think you can just change the name to MP2 and open it up in most any video editor to do that, although I'm sure there are VOB splitting apps, too.

I convert most DVD movies I own to a PSP or phone-friendly H.264 MP4 format. PSP friendly files are between 600MB-1GB. Something that preserves the DVD's quality and resolution can be done with 1.5GB.

I use BadaBoom and AnyDVD for it. Using the GPU's vast power, it takes around 10-15 minutes, depending on the movie length. It does it at over 250fps.

I've tried PSP9, but it was single-threaded and literally took forever (not sure if it still is). There's also Handbrake, but you'll need an earlier version (0.91 I think) as it does not do DVD decryption in newer versions, or use the newest version with a decryption utility. Handbrake is multithreaded, so is quite fast depending on your computer (a 8-12 thread desktop i7 will trounce any other CPU, for example) BadaBoom is only for PCs with Nvidia 8-series GPUs or higher. If you've got it, it is the fastest possible way to do it, and also has high quality.

Going the VOB route is so...for lack of a better word...2001. That was the way I originally did it...using the DeCSS utility.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.