AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15TB Synology 1511+ NAS Diskstation. I know it is possible to back up to a USB drive using the onboard DSM software, but how large would my USB have to be? Does it back up an image of the drive a bit like Windows?

I store EVERYTHING on my NAS but am conscious I have no offsite backup just in case the worst happens. Probably about 8TB is video, mostly films I've copied from my DVD collection onto the drive, we then just play them through the downstairs computer which hooks up to the NAS and the TV. Much easier than having racks of DVDs lining our front room!

Any advise on USB size would be much appreciated!

Kit

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Synology has a great support team, why don't you contact them instead? They will give you a better answer to your question. In my experience if I need to back up 10 TB of data, I need 10 TB of space. So, if you want make a back up of your 15 TB of data, you will need 15 TB of free space.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittykitty1  /t/1422070/backup-up-data-on-synology-ds1511#post_22254939

I have a 15TB Synology 1511+ NAS Diskstation. I know it is possible to back up to a USB drive using the onboard DSM software, but how large would my USB have to be? Does it back up an image of the drive a bit like Windows?

I store EVERYTHING on my NAS but am conscious I have no offsite backup just in case the worst happens. Probably about 8TB is video, mostly films I've copied from my DVD collection onto the drive, we then just play them through the downstairs computer which hooks up to the NAS and the TV. Much easier than having racks of DVDs lining our front room!

Any advise on USB size would be much appreciated!

Kit

You can back up shares. You don't have to do a disk image. Until today, I was using an esata open enclosure and just ejected the hard drive as I went along. A bit of a pain so I bought Synology's DX510 which has 5 bays and works great with the DS1512+.

USB 2 is a bit of a pain restoring and backing up a lot of stuff. The DX510 uses esata.

Philip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys

I have been tempted to get the DX but it's an expensive solution for purely backup of the DS, with people saying you could back up to USB, I figured it backed up a compressed version. Perhaps not. Contacting Synology is a good idea!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittykitty1  /t/1422070/backup-up-data-on-synology-ds1511#post_22256096

Hi guys

I have been tempted to get the DX but it's an expensive solution for purely backup of the DS, with people saying you could back up to USB, I figured it backed up a compressed version. Perhaps not. Contacting Synology is a good idea!

But the DX does more than just act as a backup device. It basically gives you a 10 disk raid NAS when used with the 1512+ or 7 when used with the 712+.

philip

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
The Synology does not support a mechanism for slicing a volume into smaller chunks so that you could rotate a whole bunch of small USB disks to get your backup done.

Compression is not an option because the biggest USB disk currently available is 3TB, and you can't compress 8TB of data to 3TB, especially video.

If you want a backup then you have two options;

1. Buy a DX510 and disks, build a volume for backups.

2. Buy an entire separate cheaper NAS, with disks, and use that for your backups, then take the whole NAS offsite. You can use tools like rsync, etc, to make backups to pretty much any network volume.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
A third option, which is what I do:

3. Split your files into separate shares, and insure that no share becomes larger than your largest backup disk. Synology does allow you to backup individual shares.

This may be easier for me than you, as I have: my files, my wife's files, my company's files, my wife's company's files, movies, music, photos, computer backups and MS Exchange backups. All are separate shares, and no one share is bigger than a 2 gig (even the movies). If you have 8 gig of movies alone, it would be more difficult to split them into separate shares.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts