AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what most of you use to backup the HTPC and audio and video file servers? I am getting nervous about 200Mb of audio and video (and many settings and programs)....

thanks

Pablo

·
Registered
647 Posts
I use ghost for the htpc and do not back up the server that has the audio/video files since it is a RAID5

I attempted to do backups to a 15/30GB DLT but once I got over 120gb it just ended up being a PIA, so I went to RAID5

·
Registered
194 Posts
Given the large amount of storage required, most use a RAID array to decrease the likelihood of losing files due to a hardware failure although it can still happen.

In that case the original CDs & DVDs are themselves the backup for the server. Of course it would be a pain to reload (rip) them all, etc....

This assumes of course that you have all the original material which of course you should to be legal, etc....

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I use DriveImage2002 extensively to back-up my HTPC (full system: programs, settings, etc.).

I do not care to back up any large data files (audio/video)...

___

Axel

·
Registered
551 Posts
I bought ghost 2003 too for backing up BXP server, recently. I could copy BXP client images by explorer but need to backup server.

At ebay, Norton SystemWorks 2003 is only about $6, shipping $2, and insurance $2. It is original CD and come with virus update subscription for a year. It contains ghost 2003 as a part of package. :D

I noticed one difference between this packaged ghost 2003 and individual ghost 2003. This package is bootable but doesn't run ghost on it. I needed to make boot floppy or run Win98 from bootable Win98 CD and run ghost on it. The original ghost 2003 could run ghost directly from CD but cost about $30.

Just an info for people who are looking for cheap ghost 2003. ;)

·
Registered
415 Posts
PabloReiter,

200MB or 200GB??

If you are talking about 200MB then I would say to just burn the songs to a few cd's or if you have a DVD-Burner then burn them to a DVD and keep it open to add more as your collection grows..

I have over 20 Gigs of music backed up on to my cd's and also storing on spare hard drives as cold storage.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'm using Acronis TrueImage to back up the HTPC to another machine on the LAN with an extra (very large) HD. Has saved me hours of work on many occasions: I've made it a habit to make a backup before installing new drivers and more than once I've had to go back to the backup because new stuff caused trouble. Restoring is a breeze with it TrueImage: It creates a couple of boot floppies that can read back the backup images over the network. So no installing of OS required even if things go catastrophically wrong. Just boot from floppy and an hour or so later everything is back where it was. The only thing missing in TrueImage is some way to schedule regular automatic backups. Other than that it does everything I want.

-Rob-

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have been using duplicates of all my drives. I don't care about my system, as that's easy to restore, however, the 140GB (and growing) of lossless audio (my CD collection), took quite a while to put onto my computer...

So, I have an external firewire enclosure with HDs in removable trays. As I create the files I make copies to separate disks, always keeping one disk out of the system. Then once I have filled up a drive, I make a duplicate copy and put the duplicate in a safe location.

I've thought about backing up with tape or other means, but for the $, just duplicating the HD space seems to be the mose cost effective. Particularly since the content of the systems does not change significantly on a day to day basis.

kiwi

·
Registered
286 Posts
My current backup scheme is prayer. My _planned_ scheme is to ghost the boot drives and let raid handle the arrays. (I might do tape on the arrays, but it'd likely be a long sequence of incrementals, and reripping from optical is probably just as easy as restoring that would be.)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eggz
Aren't all of the audio and video files already backed-up on the original disks? ;)
It's just too much work to re-rip all those CDs again IMO. Besides, with the price of large drives the way they are I think you're nuts not to stick another drive in and keep a copy. The question with hard drives is not if they fail, but when they fail!

In case of a HTPC there's usually the requirement of silence. I know in my case there is. So it's nice if you have another PC on a LAN to backup to.

B.t.w. One advantage of TrueImage vs. Ghost is that TrueImage works from Windows. No need to boot to DOS or some such thing. Ghost can't do that as far as I know. In fact, I can watch a DVD and make an full image copy of my harddisk over the network at the same time.

-Rob-

·
Registered
213 Posts
Big drives = big failures... Just had a 300g Maxtor crap out last week. After three days of cursing the thing to wherever bad people end up when they die, I managed to get 80% of the data out of it again. Don't know how much of it is actually valid data though...

Next stop, raid 5. Just need to decide on 3 or 4 disks and figure out how to get the data from my 2 running 300g drives over to a raid built on the same drives. Its difficult to backup 600g's.

-

Chris

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I partition the primary master hard drive and created a D:\\Storage drive with all critical drivers, HTPC apps, etc and burn them to a CD-R, that way if I ever need to nuke and pave to reinstall XP, I just format the c: drive and everything else is intact and the CD-R disc is there for a backup...just in case. ;) All wav files, DVDs and HDTV files are on 2 other separate physical drives.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
> My current backup scheme is prayer.

That's the quote of the week, right there. :)

It used to be my backup scheme, too, until I could afford to mirror all my data to extra hard disks. I considered RAID5, but even a RAID5 array is vulnerable to some types of corruption, so I swallowed the extra expense of duplicating all my important data drives in exchange for the extra data safety.

I used to think "Oh, if only Blu-ray drives and discs were here in the consumer space already!" But then I realized that by the time Blu-ray is widely available and affordable, we'll all have so many terabytes of storage space to back up that it would be like backing up on DVD+R would be on our current systems...too onerous to be workable...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.