AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
The editor sounds like he is in high-school...

Quote:
BackupBluray is chillin in the wild. With Usenet and Torrents bringing HD DVD and now Blu-ray movies to movie lovers everywhere

Why would "movie lovers" even bother with this, maybe the 15-25yr high-school/college demographic who is on a budget, plenty of free time and into piracy, these are not "movie lovers".

·
Registered
625 Posts
Its great for those of us with kids that don't exactly take good care of our BD/HD-DVDs. Having a backup and keeping the original safely stowed away is a fine reason for things like this and I'm all for it.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Now they just got to bring out blank HDDVDs and recorders. Although I'd guess they will be limited to 15gb single layer. Much like blank DVDs were. DL DVDS just came out not to long ago and are still about 3-5 bucks a pop..

So that means you'll have to space the information out over 2 HDDVDs or compress it down. Which would defeat the the meaning of HD as it would be all commpressd I'd suspect early converters would use Mpeg2/4 which might be good but also could be bad.

Prehapps DVDs will be used at first. Ithink you can encode HDDVDs on DVD. But you limited to such little space. So mutiple discs or massive compresing...

So I don't think if really broken backing up will catch on. Atleast in a disc based format. Prehapp pepole will store them on their PC. But 30-50gbs of info is a lot of space on any PC. It would be a 1/3 of my current PC..

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C /forum/post/0

The editor sounds like he is in high-school...

Why would "movie lovers" even bother with this, maybe the 15-25yr high-school/college demographic who is on a budget, plenty of free time and into piracy, these are not "movie lovers".

don't fool yourself. Plenty of movie lovers make illegal copies of movies, with the cost of blu ray and hd dvd, i expect just as many to do it with the new formats.

Just cause you love movies doesn't mean you love paying for them.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
People said "why would I need to copy DVDs, the blanks are too expensive" just a couple of years ago. Now blanks are less than a buck and people aren't saying that now.

They can probably sneak some sort of fix in before the next couple of years this time...

·
Banned
515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojoe /forum/post/0

don't fool yourself. Plenty of movie lovers make illegal copies of movies, with the cost of blu ray and hd dvd, i expect just as many to do it with the new formats.

Just cause you love movies doesn't mean you love paying for them.

or rather, just cause you love movies doesn't mean you love paying for them again if they get damaged, and hence, you make backups and use those.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Having a backup of any valuable data is a generally accepted and recommended practice, even if most of us don't do it enough. It's silly to think the principal somehow doesn't apply to copyrighted material.

- Tom

·
Registered
931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry /forum/post/0

Having a backup of any valuable data is a generally accepted and recommended practice, even if most of us don't do it enough. It's silly to think the principal somehow doesn't apply to copyrighted material.

- Tom

What's silly is to think that's what this is being used for.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddD /forum/post/0

I've got 2 young boys, and no matter how hard I try they manage to get a hold of their Wiggles, Barney, Disney, DVD's.

After I went through a couple Wiggle DVD's I quickly decided to make backups of all their movies. Store the originals in a locked cabinet, keep a copy on my server for them to watch on any of my HTPCs and then burn copies as need for when we're in the car or on the go.

Since doing that I've going from having to either rebuy DVD's or taking them to be cleaned at Blockbuster, to being comfortable knowing they're not getting ruined.

So.... call me silly.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:

What's silly is to think most movies on P2P are from rips of personal copies
Quote:
The Motion Picture Association of America, however, estimates that about 90 percent of films on peer-to-peer networks originated from camcorder versions of films,

ie NOT from ripped retail discs.
http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,61673,00.html

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/0

What's silly is to think most movies on P2P are from rips of personal copies

p2p is the least of their problems. Netflix plus affordable blank media will remove the need to purchase movies for many people out there.

Hopefully the prices will come down before it's too easy. but they've gotta come way down. Why pay 30-40 bucks for a hd dvd/blu-ray when you can burn a rental copy for the cost of a single blank disc?

I think the whole illegal mp3 copying has created a scofflaw mentality across much of the country when it comes to these things. Most people I know (age 20-40) don't buy DVDs anymore, they copy netflix ones and build up their collections. THey only pay for dvd as gifts for other people, and this is in spite of the fact that new DVDs are cheap.

·
Registered
931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojoe /forum/post/0

p2p is the least of their problems. Netflix plus affordable blank media will remove the need to purchase movies for many people out there.

Hopefully the prices will come down before it's too easy. but they've gotta come way down. Why pay 30-40 bucks for a hd dvd/blu-ray when you can burn a rental copy for the cost of a single blank disc?

I think the whole illegal mp3 copying has created a scofflaw mentality across much of the country when it comes to these things. Most people I know (age 20-40) don't buy DVDs anymore, they copy netflix ones and build up their collections. THey only pay for dvd as gifts for other people, and this is in spite of the fact that new DVDs are cheap.

This was my point...and before everyone gets all excited about the BackupXXX apps,we need to think this out to its end point to understand the ramifications.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts

Quote:

This was my point...and before everyone gets all excited about the BackupXXX apps,we need to think this out to its end point to understand the ramifications.

And somehow this didn't ruin the VHS days when people would tape copies of vhs tapes for friends or copy movies and tv episodes off of the Television when broadcast??? This mentality has always been here. People have just begun to "panic" now that their format is "compromised". Also the media has been pounding it into our head that this "epidemic" is as lethal to our society as the black plague was.
. And to the above poster who mentioned that everybody that he knows just burns from Netflix or other rentals to build their collections. That is not true with my friends, they've got some burned copies but if they had the choice of buying on sale a dvd or now that bargain bins are out there for like 70% of movies now they would rather own the disc. Burnable media is throwaway media, within a year max of 2 for most people (being that most people don't buy high quality media) those "copies" will be useless coasters. In a sense it's going to save them nothing but a couple of rentals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.