AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I'm a first-time poster but long time follower. I could use your advise on a screen for my backyard. Here is what I'm looking for:
-150 in. outdoor portable screen with rear projection capabilities
-I have little ones at home so that is why I'd prefer rear projection so they are not getting in front and casting shadows
-I'd like something that is quick and easy to setup (I'm open to inflatable or other options)
-I'd like to keep it below $300 if possible.
-We were given this projector as a gift https://www.bestbuy.com/site/core-i...eater-projector-white/6428551.p?skuId=6428551. I know its not the nicest but it will work for now and we can always upgrade later.
-We are planning to use the screen to watch movies with the kids a few times a year.

Would love your recommendation on an outdoor screen that would meet our needs!

Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,971 Posts
I'm a first-time poster but long time follower.
You've made 25 posts. :)

I don't know anything about that projector but is it capable of doing rear projection? Is the area covered or out in the open?

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Here’s a few options that may interest you.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
You could try a sheet or a white wall for now. I know you had mentioned rear projection. Make sure the projector can flip the image to do rear projection or it will be reversed looking from the front.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could try a sheet or a white wall for now. I know you had mentioned rear projection. Make sure the projector can flip the image to do rear projection or it will be reversed looking from the front.
From what I've seen online you can flip the image in order to do rear projection

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I'm a first-time poster but long time follower. I could use your advise on a screen for my backyard. Here is what I'm looking for:
-150 in. outdoor portable screen with rear projection capabilities
-I have little ones at home so that is why I'd prefer rear projection so they are not getting in front and casting shadows
-I'd like something that is quick and easy to setup (I'm open to inflatable or other options)
-I'd like to keep it below $300 if possible.
-We were given this projector as a gift https://www.bestbuy.com/site/core-i...eater-projector-white/6428551.p?skuId=6428551. I know its not the nicest but it will work for now and we can always upgrade later.
-We are planning to use the screen to watch movies with the kids a few times a year.

Would love your recommendation on an outdoor screen that would meet our needs!

Thanks!
With your budget of $300, your best bet is a Carl's place White or Gray rear projection screen and build a frame to mount it. They have a 139" for $160 and a 165" for $195. If you call them they will make a 150" for you. Carl's screens are quite good quality.
Projector Screen Material, Movie Screen Material, Projector Screen Fabric, Projector Screen Cloth, Carls Projector Screen, Carls Place Projector Screen, Finished Edges, FlexiWhite, FlexiGray, ALR, Blackout Cloth, Ambient Light Rejecting, UST, Short Throw (carlofet.com)

Maybe a few caveats to consider.

Your projector is an inexpensive single LED panel projector with an EDTV resolution of 800 x 480. I would not have very high expectations with regards to picture quality with a 150" image. In addition, at a 150" image size, the brightness level of your projector is very questionable with regards to producing a viewable image.

In the Q&A area for the projector that you linked to, the manufacture states that the Core Projector has a lumen out put of 45 ANSI lumens. With a 150" screen, the available brightness is going to be less than 0.69 foot lamberts, probably around 0.50 foot lamberts, with a rear projection screen as it will have negative gain. For sake of comparison, a commercial theater produces approximately 16 foot lamberts. So your projector with a 150" screen is going to be ~32 times less bright.

Just pointing this out as you may find yourself with a new screen and a disappointing picture/image.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
With your budget of $300, your best bet is a Carl's place White or Gray rear projection screen and build a frame to mount it. They have a 139" for $160 and a 165" for $195. If you call them they will make a 150" for you. Carl's screens are quite good quality.
Projector Screen Material, Movie Screen Material, Projector Screen Fabric, Projector Screen Cloth, Carls Projector Screen, Carls Place Projector Screen, Finished Edges, FlexiWhite, FlexiGray, ALR, Blackout Cloth, Ambient Light Rejecting, UST, Short Throw (carlofet.com)

Maybe a few caveats to consider.

Your projector is an inexpensive single LED panel projector with an EDTV resolution of 800 x 480. I would not have very high expectations with regards to picture quality with a 150" image. In addition, at a 150" image size, the brightness level of your projector is very questionable with regards to producing a viewable image.

In the Q&A area for the projector that you linked to, the manufacture states that the Core Projector has a lumen out put of 45 ANSI lumens. With a 150" screen, the available brightness is going to be less than 0.69 foot lamberts, probably around 0.50 foot lamberts, with a rear projection screen as it will have negative gain. For sake of comparison, a commercial theater produces approximately 16 foot lamberts. So your projector with a 150" screen is going to be ~32 times less bright.

Just pointing this out as you may find yourself with a new screen and a disappointing picture/image.
Ya this is all great advice.

I didn’t even look at the projector until now. With that small amount of light I would recommend about a 100” inch screen with that amount of light or smaller. Do some testing on a wall or sheet first before Ordering.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I like the severtson quickfolds (I use one of these myself for my outdoor viewing). They have one that comes with a rear projection material, and they're not too bad to set up, even for the large ones. You might need a second person for the big ones, though. The rear projection ones also come with a white front projection material (they are interchangable), which is a nice bonus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts