AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have been lurking for awhile & this is my first post. I've had plenty of other questions but managed through them by searching the massive threads.

I have installed a 35' Monster (customer supplied) HDMI cable into a wall, and across a few studs to a new TV over the fireplace. I did not test the cable before installation, as the equipment was not yet onsite. Needless to say at this point in the story, the cable doesn't work. Picture comes and goes with the slightest movements. I've tried a short (6ft) HDMI cable by moving the blueray player close to the TV and it works just fine. Same HDMI input on the TV too, so I'm fairly sure (by elimination) that it is definately the cable.

My question is, how likely am I to have gotten a bum cable? Now I didn't abuse the cable or anything like that when installing, but I wasn't super careful with it either (my first time running HDMI). I'm sure that as I was pulling through those studs, I put some pretty sharp bends in the wire from time to time. As anyone knows who's pulled across studs before (old work), the wire will get these twists between studs that you have to kind of workout when you pull that last little bit. I'm a believer in odds, and I know that odds are against me getting a defective cable from Monster (as I would assume that they have some sort of testing?)

What do you guys think? Did I do this?

I'm cutting out the new repaired drywall/paint in the morning to remove the old cable and (very carefully) install a new one.

NOTE-this is the cable: Monster Cable - THX 900 35' HDMI A/V Cable

Thanks.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Could be either. Pull a new cable, but test it first, and dont use monster. bluejeans, monoprice, etc. Also, there is no failproof HDMI solution except large conduit so you can pull new cable later as needed.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
You could try a HDMI booster/equalizer at the TV end of the cable and see if that helps, before you replace the cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/16966031

Could be either. Pull a new cable, but test it first, and dont use monster. bluejeans, monoprice, etc. Also, there is no failproof HDMI solution except large conduit so you can pull new cable later as needed.

Thanks, I'm cutting holes in their newly patched/painted drywall bright & early tommorrow morning

I hate it for them more than anything. They are being so nice about it & I don't mind the extra work, I'd just like to know if it was my fault. I'm not charging for any additional labor since they do have to buy another $199 cable (customer supplied). If I can get the damaged/defective one out, I wonder if they could return it?

I ran 2" nonmetalliic flexible conduit in my own walls, but I didn't have to cross any studs. I would have had to remove much more drywall for that, & they wanted to keep the need for patching to a minimum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello Severetitan:

HDMI interfacte is currently limited to 8.3 meters for hdmi cables that are 28AWG or larger. Anything past this must have an amplifier or equalizer built in line or your signal will cut out. I have purchased some very good affordable long HDMI cables at www.av-express.com . Their limits are 25 feet w/o equalizer. If you really need 35 feet or longer, try to find an amplifier in line that meets 1080p requirements. Good luck

Thanks,

JIm

·
Registered
408 Posts
If it ain't too late, tell the customer to return the Monster crap and forget about that brand forever. If they can't return it, and the cable does not show signs of physical damage, see if they can shake Monster for their 'lifetime warranty'. A cable is a passive component, and 35' is kinda at the edge of capacity. Monoprice recommends a 24 or 22 AWG cable for long runs, and that makes for a VERY thick and stiff cable. Was Monster cable thick and stiff? If not, likely the cable is no good for that length. It could also be the source sending a weak signal or TV unable to get a weaker signal. I would try an HDMI booster - at TV end - before cutting into the wall. And if they already bought another $200 Monster, be sure to test it before returning.

Personally, I would rather go with an HDMI over Cat6 solution at a fraction of the price, using much cheaper and more workable Cat6 cables.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I have removed the defective cable and replaced with the Monster "THX 1000" 35ft cable (customer supplied). It's working fine now. No signs of damage to the faulty cable. Best Buy let my customer return the original for store credit so she was happy.

Very intresting about the HDMI over Cat6. Didn't know that was available. I'll definately be using that in the future, as Cat6 is readily avaiable to me all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.