AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 30 foot Hdmi run from my marantz Av8801 to my JVC Rs-1 projector. Ever since I put the marantz in my system (about a year ago), every once in a while I'll get a blue screen for a second or so. Sometimes I would have to power cycle the marantz as I would get no audio when the system was powered on, but this has not happened as of late. I changed the way the system powers up, and plus there have been a couple of firmware updates to the marantz, so I guess it's OK now.

But could the (very infrequent) blue screens be a symptom my hdmi cable is going bad? Or is it because my projector is about 7 years old, and the marantz is new - so I'm guessing they use different hdmi versions? I'm getting a new Sony projector soon, so if I have to mess with a different cable, this is the time. Current cable is a BJC Series 2 - the older Silver plated copper one (about 7 years old also) I think it's 24 AWG.

Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Unfortunately, the answer to your question is yes.

Yes, it could be the cable, yes it could be that handshaking between the old and new units is causing a headache.

I guess the question remains whether or not you have this issue if you run directly from the source to the projector, or if this only occurs when running through the Marantz. It's at least worth checking out. Hook up digital or analog audio while watching a TV show or movie and suck up the less than perfect sound for one or two movies to see if the error persists.

If it is isolated to the Marantz, then you may want to bring in a different display and hook it up, if you can.

Likewise, you may want to pick up a different HDMI cable and just run it across the floor (if you can) for one movie, to see how things look.

There's simply no perfect answer on HDMI and you will want to run through the simplest tests first, then try some of the more complex troubleshooting solutions.

If the projector has two HDMI inputs, be sure to try both of them out.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
As AV_I says way too many variables at play to say with 100% certainty where the problem lies.

With a Blue Screen fault I’d be looking at Firmware (Source, AVR and Display) rather than a cable problem as my first port of call.

I wouldn’t ‘mess’ with the installed HDMI cable – though if the PJ switch out allows for the installation of a decent gauge conduit and or a second HDMI cable plus a couple of lengths of solid core CAT6 I’d be throwing them up in the ceiling at this time.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts