AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stores like Best Buy, Future Store and 2001AV are taking forever to get in the new S, ST, GT and VT models. 2001AV has the most, byt BB and FS have almost nothing available of 2011 Panasonic plasma's. Is this a sign of lot's of unsold previous gen models or is Canada just slow in general in getting 2011 Panasonic plasma's?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Cannot comment on stock levels, but have noticed that there are only a handful of ADVERTISEMENTS for Plasmas locally (SE MI) - and particularly for Panasonic models.

Cannot help but wonder whether this means that a) stock IS low, or b) plasmas are selling like hot-cakes.... (or, of course, some combination of the two...)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Agreed. In Montreal, I've found the TV at furniture/electronic stores instead of tech stores. One high end audio store told me they won't have stock of the 55gt30 until the end of august; although they did have other sizes in stock.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstripe /forum/post/20772454

Agreed. In Montreal, I've found the TV at furniture/electronic stores instead of tech stores. One high end audio store told me they won't have stock of the 55gt30 until the end of august; although they did have other sizes in stock.

The Future Shop in Whitby has had the GT30 series in stock, I am not sure which sizes. I have seen it also on their website. Future Shop has not received any of the new VT30 series displays. I did talk to a higher ranking sales person and he told me the head honchos at head office were debating whether they were going to be carrying the VT30 series at all this year. I find this rather odd as the VT25 series was a huge seller for them last year. I bought one!

Best Buy to my knowledge has not had either the GT30 or VT30 series available for sale as of today.

I have seen both the GT30 series as well as the VT30 series on display and for sale at Audio Video 2001. They had both on display and in stock at the Ajax location. I was there a few days ago. The 65 inch VT30 was priced at the full MSRP. I mean if you are dying to buy one, go there. But i've never been a huge fan of their return policies. They don't have a 30 day no questions asked return period like Future Shop or Best Buy. Returning it if you dont like it for an in-store credit doesn't work for me.

Although i have never dealt with them before, Whitby Audio Video on Brock St in Whitby carries the VT30 and GT30 models. They also have them on display.

Hope this helps!

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Audiotronics in Whitehorse has various S30's, the 55GT30 since end mid-June and the 55VT30 now. No ST's today. Sears has the 50GT30, this is the only place I've seen it. Some online retailers (hd.ca) have VT25's.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel /forum/post/20772860

The Future Shop in Whitby has had the GT30 series in stock, I am not sure which sizes. I have seen it also on their website. Future Shop has not received any of the new VT30 series displays. I did talk to a higher ranking sales person and he told me the head honchos at head office were debating whether they were going to be carrying the VT30 series at all this year. I find this rather odd as the VT25 series was a huge seller for them last year. I bought one!

Best Buy to my knowledge has not had either the GT30 or VT30 series available for sale as of today.

I have seen both the GT30 series as well as the VT30 series on display and for sale at Audio Video 2001. They had both on display and in stock at the Ajax location. I was there a few days ago. The 65 inch VT30 was priced at the full MSRP. I mean if you are dying to buy one, go there. But i've never been a huge fan of their return policies. They don't have a 30 day no questions asked return period like Future Shop or Best Buy. Returning it if you dont like it for an in-store credit doesn't work for me.

Interesting. I have not seen the GT or VT on the FS or BB websites. It's possible I saw something a few weeks ago in smaller models, but nothing lately. 2001AV is horrible for returns. I once had to argue for an hour to get 2001AV to return and refund my money when a DVD player I bought would not play one of my DVD's that was mint and would play in other players. I check out their website, and I am starting to see some GT's (they even list the 65") but I would not likely buy there, especially considering their price for the 65" ST30 is only a little less than what I can get a 65" VT30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel /forum/post/20772860

Although i have never dealt with them before, Whitby Audio Video on Brock St in Whitby carries the VT30 and GT30 models. They also have them on display.

Hope this helps!

Mike

I started my whole home theatre at Whitby Audio. I went in looking to buy a PSB Alpha HT setup but kept asking to see the next thing higher. I ended up taking home a set of PSB Image T60's for a Sunday and I was hooked. I was also checking with them when the Pio's were disappearing, but I never took the leap. I am selling my RS40 and plan to have a 46" to 50" flat in my bedroom and a 50"-65" in my HT.

I know of two or three good options for getting the lowest prices on the Panasonic plasma's...but, at the moment, I am looking to make use of a BB or FS credit card zero interest deal....so that is why I am shopping there. I have to get into the black and pay down debts and save my money for TV's that I want to have now, but pay for later..lol...

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok...I have got to learn that the websites for BB and FS do not reflect what is available in the stores. I went to the Ajax BB and saw the 46,50 and 55" ST30 panny's. They look nice. I also went to the BB in Whitby but there wasn't much there at the time. I saw the 65GT30 and 60GT30 at the Whitby FS. Pricing is kinda lame for the GT models compared to what I can get them for. For the ST models, the pricing is not so bad, and you can always haggle. The smaller X3 plasma's really look bad, and I assume it's because they are 1024 x 768 models or just set up badly. Pixels are obvious. The S30 models are much better, but still don't have the black levels of the ST30 models. Also without an anti-reflective coating, it really shows. The ST30 models really do look nice, and I think they are the minimum I would want to go for. Now I have to decide what model is right for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also have noticed the Canada retailers are slow to bring in the new Panasonics but most of them now have everything up to the ST. Haven't seen a GT30 or VT30 on display yet. They probably are trying to sell leftover 2010s, the VT25, GT25 and G25 are still available. Noticed some ST30 sizes were in BB stores at reduced (sale) prices yet not even listed in the flyer or website.

The S30 series is getting good discounts, such as the 50" which seems a relative bargain compared to the ST30. Those big price differences will cause a lot of people to not bother looking at ST30 and higher.

The economy in general seems OK in my town, judging by the full parking lots at restaurants and malls and numerous newer cars. Maybe it's because this a slow TV sales season, people are on vacation, and possibly the average Cdn doesn't see the point in buying more than a low-end TV.

In fact, an old analog tube TV will still work fine for some people in small cities. Something that surprised me is that the CBC will not even be upgrading their analog repeater transmitters to digital outside the big cities, even though the digital transition date is September 1 for the originating stations. This is different and less progressive than the USA situation where all analog TV transmissions went off the air 2 years ago.

http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/dtv/index2.shtml

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The S30 does seem lower priced, but with the 50" ST30's anti-reflection coating, lower black levels etc, it's worth it to me to pay another $200 to $400 for a given size. In fact, the GT30 series has more calibration control with a CMS. The VT30 of course has this two, and maybe more, but not the ST30 or S30. Anyhow, I am trying to figure out which model is best for each of my applications. I will continue to check out stores. I will check out the Future Shop in Pickering again and the Best Buy at the Scarborough Town Centre.

·
Registered
621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thousandaire /forum/post/20798571

I also have noticed the Canada retailers are slow to bring in the new Panasonics but most of them now have everything up to the ST. Haven't seen a GT30 or VT30 on display yet. They probably are trying to sell leftover 2010s, the VT25, GT25 and G25 are still available. Noticed some ST30 sizes were in BB stores at reduced (sale) prices yet not even listed in the flyer or website.

The S30 series is getting good discounts, such as the 50" which seems a relative bargain compared to the ST30. Those big price differences will cause a lot of people to not bother looking at ST30 and higher.

The economy in general seems OK in my town, judging by the full parking lots at restaurants and malls and numerous newer cars. Maybe it's because this a slow TV sales season, people are on vacation, and possibly the average Cdn doesn't see the point in buying more than a low-end TV.

In fact, an old analog tube TV will still work fine for some people in small cities. Something that surprised me is that the CBC will not even be upgrading their analog repeater transmitters to digital outside the big cities, even though the digital transition date is September 1 for the originating stations. This is different and less progressive than the USA situation where all analog TV transmissions went off the air 2 years ago.

http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/dtv/index2.shtml

I have seen the VT30 at Visions. I have inquired about them and the guy out here is willing to give me what I would consider to be a great deal on one. Basically $1000 off the sticker price. Not sure if I'm buying one though.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc
The S30 does seem lower priced, but with the 50" ST30's anti-reflection coating, lower black levels etc, it's worth it to me to pay another $200 to $400 for a given size. In fact, the GT30 series has more calibration control with a CMS. The VT30 of course has this two, and maybe more, but not the ST30 or S30. Anyhow, I am trying to figure out which model is best for each of my applications. I will continue to check out stores. I will check out the Future Shop in Pickering again and the Best Buy at the Scarborough Town Centre.
Just go to the 2001 Audio Video in Ajax. They have all 3 sets on display and will play whatever source you want to see including cable or satellite. Its not just a blu-ray loop like Best Buy or Future Shop. They will also allow you to play with the settings for as long as u like. Because of their bad return policies you dont have to buy one at 2001AV. But i admit i do alot of my research in these stores. Once i make my decision, i purchase it elsewhere. It sounds bad, but store credits dont work for me. If they had the same 30 day no questions asked return policy as Future Shop or Best Buy, id buy from them in a minute.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel
Just go to the 2001 Audio Video in Ajax. They have all 3 sets on display and will play whatever source you want to see including cable or satellite. Its not just a blu-ray loop like Best Buy or Future Shop. They will also allow you to play with the settings for as long as u like. Because of their bad return policies you dont have to buy one at 2001AV. But i admit i do alot of my research in these stores. Once i make my decision, i purchase it elsewhere. It sounds bad, but store credits dont work for me. If they had the same 30 day no questions asked return policy as Future Shop or Best Buy, id buy from them in a minute.

Mike
Well, I did visit the 2001AV store in Ajax and I saw the 65" VT. That is a nice set. I watched a bit of the 3D Avatar demo and it looked nice. I can't be bothered to mess around too much with the settings. Maybe next time. I also saw the GT and ST. The S30 has poor black levels. The ST30 appears better but still isn't great. Anyhow, now I have learned my lesson. What the stores show on their websites is not what is in the stores.

-EDIT-

I think the reason I could not find the new 2011 Panasonic Plasma TV's is because they were all under their 3D TV's section. I started looking in that section of the website at first, but then when I found the 46ST30 elsewhere, I stopped looking in the 3D TV section. Anyhow...they are there now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.