AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a tc sounds epic 12 horn today...

The thing pumps for a 12 but... Therebis a terrible flutter like a room vibration but its 100% in the woofer.

The seller is from here and seems like a good guy but he says he never heard I and doesn't seem willing to help ( not sure...)

Is this normal?

Is it just because I'm not use to hearing the rear side of a woofer?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Can you remove the driver and test it in free air? That would isolate if there is a loose piece inside the horn making the noise. If you set the woofer on it's back, blocking the pole vent, it will be noisy, so keep that in mind when testing it.

I would carefully check the integrity of the gluing from the surround to the basket, surround to cone and the spider to frame and spider to coil with your fingers to check for gluing issues. Also, if there is no gasket tape for the frame to compress, you could be getting leaks causing noise.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you remove the driver and test it in free air? That would isolate if there is a loose piece inside the horn making the noise. If you set the woofer on it's back, blocking the pole vent, it will be noisy, so keep that in mind when testing it.

I would carefully check the integrity of the gluing from the surround to the basket, surround to cone and the spider to frame and spider to coil with your fingers to check for gluing issues. Also, if there is no gasket tape for the frame to compress, you could be getting leaks causing noise.
Its built like ****... He paid someone which shocks me...

I'm sure there are leaks

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what to do... Guess I could test the woofer.

I'm at my breaking point... Audio is not worth this

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Is it just because I'm not use to hearing the rear side of a woofer?
I assume that means it's a tapped horn. That would have no bearing on what you're hearing. It could be driver sourced, perhaps a surround that's separating, it could be from insufficient bracing of the cab or a joint failure. I'd pull the driver and test it thoroughly to rule it out.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume that means it's a tapped horn. That would have no bearing on what you're hearing. It could be driver sourced, perhaps a surround that's separating, it could be from insufficient bracing of the cab or a joint failure. I'd pull the driver and test it thoroughly to rule it out.
There is zero bracing... Its built like ****

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really don't think its the box. I can sit on the box and feel around for ratles and try to stabilize it but it really feels like its the woofer.

I really hope its the woofer and not the box...

Without the box/horn a 12" woofer is useless to me. I can add a new driver but I'm not ready to build a horn which is why I bought this.

To better describe - at moderate volumes theres not much but push it even a LITTLE and its the exact sound of room rattles. I was checking the tnuts and seem tight and checked the acces panel.

Touching the woofer with a finger makes it a lot better. It is clearly from the driver I feel.
If I put it further away or have the speakers up it hides it but go near the mouth and eek.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Yeah... over on DIY Audio they seem to think it doesn't need any.
Its about 14" wide internal, 15 overall.
I never have panels wider than 8 inches unbraced. That doesn't mean that the driver might not be at fault, but it also could indicate that the panel the driver is mounted on is vibrating, making it seem the cause.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never have panels wider than 8 inches unbraced. That doesn't mean that the driver might not be at fault, but it also could indicate that the panel the driver is mounted on is vibrating, making it seem the cause.
I tried pushing on that panel but can't get to the middle so it didn't have an effect.

The thing does pound so if its the woofer I'd be confused how it is putting out so much.

The prior owner swears he never had an issue.

Could I add dowels as bracing by drilling holes and dropping them in then sealing it off?

I really can't toss the box

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts