AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my $1 6PG was too good to be true after all.

Seems the green tube has a severe problem. It keeps getting brighter and dimmer and if I look at the neck of the tube I can see a blue spot glowing. Sometimes it even snaps and the thing goes dead. Funny thing is this just showed up. Haven't had the projector that long and don't have the setup remote so I haven't gotten a chance to fully align it.

How hard will it be to replace the tube, and can I just replace it yoke and all instead of ripping it all apart? I might be able to get a tube from another guy I know that always buys up these units.

Could someone please point me to good info on the replacement procedure?

Thanks!

TekWar

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Have you tried cleaning and reseating the neck board? Also, the tube may be gassy. It is possible that running it for some time may allow the getters in the crt to clean it up again. Who knows, you MAY be able to avoid replacement. This is ALSO a phenomenon seen on rebuilt tubes, they can snap and glow blue, this usually settles after a hundred hours or so. Don't give up so fast.

Marc

·
Registered
567 Posts
This could also be related to a HV problem. When i replace my tubes i damaged the HV insulation on the Red tubes anode lead. The tube would increase brightness and then suddenly snap to nothing and then repeat the cycle.

Once i repaired the insulation is was fine.

Don't blame the tube just yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the great responses!

I will look into those things. I haven't been able to see where the arc is when it snaps. I guess I will have to look closer.

It is possible that the tube has been replaced already. The projector belonged to the university and they are notorious for spending lots of money! They may have had it repaired at some time.

This is totally unrelated, but does anyone have a spare spot convergence board they would like to sell?

Thanks!

Tek

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I've got a 6PG Plus parts machine, send me an email detailnig which board it is you need.(A picture would help too)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
That would be the point board. It is EXPENSIVE and usually found in the PG9's. I also have been looking for a spare.

Marc

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have seen point convergance boards selling for $US600.00 used. Not cheap and IMO not worth it.

I have a 9PG with a point convergance board in it as standard and i don't even use point convergance. If you install your projector correctly and get used to the other convergance controls then you will find the point convergance isn't necessary.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I just finished doing the convergence on a 6PG and there *might* be one spot on the entire grid that I would use point convergence on. You don't need it if you prectice and make SURE you have an EXCELLENT physical setup. It also helps with convergence if you use factory throw distances and the recommended raster size. I had a tiny bit of trouble converging the red, but when I checked the raster sizes, they were large enough to touch the side of the tubes at the wide part. When I backed the global H-width back to where it should be, the convergence came into line.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Yes... I have found that I use only a miniscule amount of point. I have one small corner of blue. Other than that, everything came into line without point. But I'm a perfectionist :)

Marc

·
Registered
136 Posts
What is HV? I have a similar problem where my green tube will be working fine and then looks like it goes dark, but if you look into the tube you can see the image, it just isn't as bright. I thought it was the connector to the driver board, but that isn't it. Flicking the tube on/off switch (by the fine adjust pot on a ECP projector) sometimes gets it back. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
avale, that sounds like a bad connection. HV= High Voltage.

Could be your switches are corroded. try a little contact cleaner on them with the unit OFF. Flip the switches a few times to clean them and try again.

Marc

·
Registered
136 Posts
OK, thanks I'll try cleaning the switch. Do people prefer the liquid contact cleaner that you have to apply with a Q-tip or the kind in a spray bottle (or does it not matter?) I have also recently removed my driver board from the projector so I could clean those contacts better too. Are there any tips on putting this board back? Meaning, it was glued in place and I obviously removed the glue to remove this board. What type of glue is preferred when putting this back on? Anything else I should be aware of?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I use the spray cleaner. Use only a little. It goes a long way. I am not familiar with ECP projectors, so I will leave the 2nd question for someone else to answer.

Marc

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it looks like my green CRT has become stable (for now) so I guess I won't panic. The only other thing I noticed is that when I bring up the menus (since I can't input a signal yet) they seem to be a little jumpy. Is this normal, or could it be HV problems?

Thanks!

Tek

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.