AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my UTV to a bigger hard drive and was able to reuse the Seagate 40gb drive. Two week later my old Seagate becomes defective and now I can't use it. The seagate diagnostic suggests me to replace the drive and since this is an OEM drive can I get it replace or it's out of warranty .........Please advice..........

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just call Seagate and and find out. Don't tell them that it's OEM or from UTV. Tell them you ran the diagnostics on it on your PC and the results.

Keith

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did and they can tell by the serial number, and they suggested to call the the place that I buy my UTV.

Thanks

·
Registered
719 Posts
Same with WD drives. They don't support (i.e. no warrenty) using these drives in anything but what they came in. Probably this is so they can sell them to utv etc. for a much lower price than normal. Dealing with user problems is probably a large percentage of the cost. This might explain how they can sell utvs so cheaply considering they come with an, otherwise, expensive hard drive.

·
Registered
524 Posts
One has to be very careful about OEM ... they don't come with the generous warranties as retail drives do! But then again after all they are considerably cheaper as well.

So far I have yet to have a problem with either UTV hard drives, one is 18 months old and the other 6 months with original OEM drives..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was able to return a Seagate drive out of a Dishplayer the dive had Echostar on the label. The new drive was also Echostar.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You could always put the drive back into the UTV and try to get it repaird as a unit. Probably would need to purchase a second UTV unit, unless you have the DTV service option and get an advanced replacement (I couldn't immagine being without even one of my boxes for two weeks!)

Doug.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wrb
One has to be very careful about OEM ... they don't come with the generous warranties as retail drives do! But then again after all they are considerably cheaper as well.

While it's true that most OEM computer parts(ie CPU's) have a shorter warranty period that retail box products, IDE hard drives seem to be an exception to the rule. I only buy OEM drives and they have always come with the same 3 year warranty as the retail box versions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Puglas-I thought about that too but my UTV currently have about 85% full (with my 120gb drive) and I assuming that put the original small hard drive back in may not allow me to put my new big drive later (which means I will lose all of my recorded movies-Sorry I hate to transfer it to VHS Tape-I will save it for my DVD Burner someday). ......

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LongRufus

While it's true that most OEM computer parts(ie CPU's) have a shorter warranty period that retail box products
See who backs the warranty... many a OEM items are backed by the wholesaler or system manufacturer "not" the orginal part manufacturer.. example: MAXTOR, AMD, Intel... etc. Just read the fine print... that's all .... or ask.. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.