AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced a bad HDMI port on the DG920? I had everything set up with a somewhat finicky device running to the second of four HDMI ports (the "BD" HDMI as labeled on the back of the unit) but it refused to show a picture through that port.

I switched the cable to other HDMI ports and verified that those work, so it's not the input device. It's somewhat surprising that only one of the four input ports wouldn't work so I was just curious if there may be a setting I'm missing or if anyone has had experience with this before I have to return it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hello, i hope someone can help me. I recently bought a sony str-dg920 rcvr and i'm having a hard time watching my BD in DTS. whenever i play any BD the linear PCM(48) streaks across the rcvr face. I thought Linear PCM means it's receiving an analog feed not digital right?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimio11 /forum/post/15512139

hello, i hope someone can help me. I recently bought a sony str-dg920 rcvr and i'm having a hard time watching my BD in DTS. whenever i play any BD the linear PCM(48) streaks across the rcvr face. I thought Linear PCM means it's receiving an analog feed not digital right?

Thanks in advance

Don't know your Blu-ray make/model. Look for an option to set DTS out to bitstream. If your 920 is receiving LPCM when DTS is on the Blu-ray disc it's not necessary a bad thing and not analog if connected via HDMI. The Blu-ray player could be decoding the DTS and sending LPCM out (similar to the PS3).

I have a PS3 and not a standalone player and get LPCM only as the PS3 doesn't allow bitstream. Bitstream sends the DTS audio to the receiver for it to decode: DTS would then appear on the receiver instead of LPCM.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester /forum/post/15513234

Don't know your Blu-ray make/model. Look for an option to set DTS out to bitstream. If your 920 is receiving LPCM when DTS is on the Blu-ray disc it's not necessary a bad thing and not analog if connected via HDMI. The Blu-ray player could be decoding the DTS and sending LPCM out (similar to the PS3).

I have a PS3 and not a standalone player and get LPCM only as the PS3 doesn't allow bitstream. Bitstream sends the DTS audio to the receiver for it to decode: DTS would then appear on the receiver instead of LPCM.

It's a sony BDP-S350, and i understand you completely. Called sony earlier and they said the same thing. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Wesley, the what the hay method worked ... strangely enough, that was the first thing I did after getting the receiver into position, but regardless it work that port back up
Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester /forum/post/15506786

Read through this thread

I remember a few others having issue with 1 or all the HDMI inputs requiring a replacement/repair.

You can try the reset as a 'what the hay':

CLEAR ALL

1. Receiver OFF.

2. While holding down TONE MODE and

2CH/A.DIRECT, press POWER to turn on the

receiver.

3. Release TONE MODE and 2CH/A.DIRECT

after a few seconds.

4. After CLEARING appears on the display for

a while, CLEARED ! appears.

5. All changed settings and adjustments are

reset to initial settings.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmccorm /forum/post/15513835

Thanks Wesley, the what the hay method worked ... strangely enough, that was the first thing I did after getting the receiver into position, but regardless it work that port back up
Thanks for the help!

Glad to hear that was all it needed and you didn't have to return it or send it off or anything like that. You must have been reading the manual during installation (a good thing) because it clearly states on page 35:

"Before using the receiver for the first time, initialize the receiver by performing the following procedure. This procedure can also be used to return settings you have made to their factory defaults."

I missed that myself and have never performed it.

Still don't fully understand how it relates to the HDMI ports specifically though. Maybe discounting the HDMI cable completely at both ends and turning both receiver and component off, then reconnecting everything and power them back on could have done the same thing: maybe not. Who knows? Hopefully, you'll never run into that issue again anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I recently received my new STR-DG920 and upon opening the box, the strong smell of 'burnt electronics' emanated from the receiver! I called Sony and they were no help, I'm sending the unir back for replacement, because I've never smelled an amp, receiver, etc. smell that way unless it had overheated or short-circuited! Does anyone remember if their Sony smelled burnt before thay even plugged it in?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimio11 /forum/post/15512139

Thanks in advance

PCM is a digital signal format (Pulse Code Modulation) - NOT analog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts