AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a pioneer sx-434 receiver for a good price several weeks ago. It's very clean and the only pot with any static is the on/off speaker knob. When I hooked a old kenwood CD player into the aux jacks I got a light him a echo in the voices on the cd. When I plugged the CD player into the phono jack the hum sounded like it was going to blow the cones out of the speakers.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this. I am just getting back into receivers and good audio. Could this be bad caps or transistors or? I have been playing with old ham radios for a while so I can follow a schematic a little bit and can solder too. If anyone thinks components maybe going bad.

Thanks kj4unx

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
AUX jacks are for input signal voltages ranging from 0 to 1 or maybe 2 volts. Marked AUX CD TAPE and similar.

PHONO jacks are for input voltages in the millivolt area, and have an additional stage of amplification the line-level jacks don't have, to bring the signal up to 'line-level' internally.

-

Are the two units on the same wall outlet?

-

Does the Kenwood hum when playing through another receiver or amp?

-

Does the Pioneer hum when playing FM?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AUX jacks are for input signal voltages ranging from 0 to 1 or maybe 2 volts. Marked AUX CD TAPE and similar.

PHONO jacks are for input voltages in the millivolt area, and have an additional stage of amplification the line-level jacks don't have, to bring the signal up to 'line-level' internally.

-

Are the two units on the same wall outlet?

-

Does the Kenwood hum when playing through another receiver or amp?

-

Does the Pioneer hum when playing FM?
No the pioneer does not hum at all when playing fm.

the CD player hums a 100% more on the phono Jack than the aux jack.

Yes they are on the same wall outlet.

On the knob that selects inputs it reads am,fm,phono and aux. I have not tried it on another receiver yet. I will have to carry it to a buddy's house to check it out.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Not helpful but I saw this topic title in my peripheral vision and my brain read it as "bad hum in a sex partner"

Reactions: kj4unx

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Do not plug your CD player into the Phono jack.

Phono jack is to amplify the tiny signal emitted from a wiggling phonograph needle.

-

"No the pioneer does not hum at all when playing fm."

That's a good sign that the amplifier section in the receiver is still working well.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Not helpful but I saw this topic title in my peripheral vision and my brain read it as "bad hum in a sex partner"
\

Frank Zappa wanted to use backup singers on the songs "I'm the Slime", "Dirty Love", "Zomby Woof", "Dinah-Moe Humm" and "Montana". His road manager suggested The Ikettes, and Ike & Tina Turner were contacted. Ike Turner insisted that Zappa pay the singers, including Tina Turner, no more than $25 per song.[1] During the recording sessions, Tina brought Ike into the studio to hear one of her recordings with Zappa. Ike listened to the tape and responded "What is this ****?" before leaving the studio.[1] Ike later insisted that Zappa would not credit the Ikettes on the released album.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
No the pioneer does not hum at all when playing fm.

the CD player hums a 100% more on the phono Jack than the aux jack.

Yes they are on the same wall outlet.

On the knob that selects inputs it reads am,fm,phono and aux. I have not tried it on another receiver yet. I will have to carry it to a buddy's house to check it out.
Phono is ONLY for a turntable with a magnetic cartridge, nothing else. Use Aux in for the CD player.

You also have a set of jacks for a Tape recorder- you can use that, too. Tape, CD and anything else that's not a turntable will work if you connect it to the Tape input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well a update on the hum. I went to goodwill this morning and seen a rca CD player on the shelf for $8.00. I plugged it in to thier power strip and it powered up. So I brought it home and hooked it up to the pioneer. It works great no hum what so ever. No remote and takes a second or two to find track but I can listen to CDs now in the house. The wife has already has already been on my butt like diaper for listening to winger too loud. If it's too loud your too old. After that commit I was told to kiss certain body parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Winger

Never heard of them so you made me look.

A hair band from the pre-tattoo era signed to Atlantic.

--

Good on losing your hum.
I also had some Otis redding playing too, but I didn't have it as loud. Yeah that kenwood CD player has a hollow sound and a hum on everything I hook it up too. Guess I am going to strip it down and chunk that thing.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I also had some Otis redding playing too, but I didn't have it as loud. Yeah that kenwood CD player has a hollow sound and a hum on everything I hook it up too. Guess I am going to strip it down and chunk that thing.
Do you have any test leads with alligator clips? The Kenwood may just have a bad solder joint. Clip one end of the test lead to the shell of the output jack and the other end to the metal chassis. If it comes back to normal and sounds good, remove the test lead and press on the jack, so it pushes into the circuit board the jacks are connected to. I'd bet that the sound will come back and it might just need a solder joint repair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.