AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious is this a bad idea, I want to pair a pioneer sc-07 with a rotel 1565 amp. I like the feature set of the pioneer but want better 4ohm performance (this is based on the audioholic review) and a more rotel sound. It would also cost me slightly less then buying a rotel preamp. Any opinions would be helpful.

Also anyone that has opinions regarding using a reciever as a preamp if you could give me some insight on the matter it would be much appreciated

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Man, you would think the Pio could power up 4 ohm speakers. It's rated at something like 130 watts / channel ACD.

Not sure about Rotel sound. If you don't like the sound of the Pioneer, buy a different receiver. Note that room correction could make a bigger impact than any amplifier's sound. Then there's op amps, DACs and everything else in the signal chain.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently the pioneer has to small a powersupply to power a 4 ohm load at reference levels (this is according to the audioholic review).

In regards to the rotel sound that I am referring to it is that super tight but very impactful accoustic quality hence I am assuming the amp is the responsible party as it can deliver the power and control necessary to produce it with little to no distortion

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Certainly you can use a receiver as a pre amp. I used my RX-V2700 in conjunction with a Mackie power amp for the L/R channels. Seemed I got a bit more power, which was expected as the Mackie had a rating of 200x2 watts of power.

I did not hear all the differences others claim when adding external amplification, just more power. Other people have had different experiences

·
Registered
682 Posts

Quote:
In regards to the rotel sound that I am referring to it is that super tight but very impactful accoustic quality hence I am assuming the amp is the responsible party

If you are listening to analog inputs, both the Rotel preamp + amp will be contributing to the SQ difference. Take along some of your favorite cds to audition.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the thing is the guy that sells rotel does not sell pioneer and has nw speakers along side it. The guy that deals in pioneer is about 20mins away and has focal speakers setup with his. I tried to demo them and they both sounded good with rotel being a little tighter on the low end, but again that could have been the speakers. However my main concern are the 4ohm loads that is why I want an external amp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts