AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lost a few HD channels and I am almost positive it is from a bad LNB. I don't get DiscoveryHD, [email protected], and HDNET. My siganl is only 44% on 119 trans 27 and a test fails on 1 sat. There are no obstructions and alignment is good.

I had a professional installer check the dish alignment and it was "as good as it gets" according to him and his guages. (he was at my house putting up my satellite internet dish).

So here's my question: Can I buy a LNB replacement part and replace it myself? I was hoping I wouldn't have to get involved with the DTV Service

Scam/ er huh...Plan.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Which dish do you have? Phase II or Phase III? The LNB's just bolt on to the end of the dish arm, it would just be a matter of unbolting the bad one, disconnecting the cable, connecting back to the new one and bolting it back on.

If you have a Phase II dish with the exposed multiswitch on the back, I'd check all the cabling for moisture in the connectors before replacing the LNB though.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 /forum/post/0

If you have a Phase II dish with the exposed multiswitch on the back, I'd check all the cabling for moisture in the connectors before replacing the LNB though.

I thought that was the Phase I. I have what I consinder the Phase II with the multi-switch built into the LNB mounting arm. I added a Sat-C LNB and didn't have to re-aim anything. It took longer to drag the ladder out than add the LNB.

But like mjones73 said, I'd check the connections for moisture. I'd also check the signal strength on each satellite/transponder to confirm what you are seeing on video.

-Robert

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like I have a phase III with the additional two LNBs hanging off to the side for local HD when it is available in my area. I will check for moisture and try electrical contact cleaner at the connections. Could I also try a water repelant like WD-40? Hmmm. Wonder if that would screw up conductivity?

If that doesn't work, where can I buy a single LNB, my local Radio Shack?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
I will tell you that out of curiosity (as I was doing some experimenting with some different types of lnbs on a DBS dish early this morning) I went ahead and put several in wiithout realigning and tweaking the dish. Never was any of the 4 others (nor the original when I put it back in) anywhere close to the original tweaked lnb with an average loss of 10% - 20% of the signal.

Using a Digital Satellite Meter, the original was at 55.4 - and the every other lnb I put back in without re-aligning (including the original) were between 51.7 to 45.2.

Even a slight movement of these lnbs has dramatic effect.

That is why I would advise you to have an installer do it - especially if you are covered under a plan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.