AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I lost most of the Directv channels. I still get HD off of both of those sats but 101 is mostly dead. I get good readings on only the odd transponders. When I switched leads from the dish the situation did not change at all. Does this sound like an LNB problem? If it were a problem with one of the connecting wire I would have thought that switching the leads wouldhave changed the situation. Bad thinking here? Your help would be appreciated. Art

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
When you say "switched leads", what exactly do you mean? Since you have a multi-switch in the mix, you have more equipment that can screw up. It sounds like one of your cables went bad.

Take the two cables between the 101 LNB and the switch and just swap them at the switch (not at the LNB). This will determine if one of those cables is bad. The channels you lost, should come back but you will lose other channels.

You can also check each connector to make sure it is not corroded and there are no stray wires from the shielding touching the center conductor.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robert, thank you. I did exactly that and switched the two leads going into the multiswitch. No change. That is the reason I posted. I don't get it.

Art

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
It's possible the cabling has a problem. It's possible the 101 LNB failed. It's possible the multiswitch failed. The fact that you get both even and odd xponders off 119 tells you that your receiver's ability to supply the 13 and 18 volt power and polarity switching voltages, and the 22 KHz signal switching tone are OK. Try bypassing the switch completely. First connect the output of each connection at the 101 LNB directly to your receiver. The pre-terminated 100' coil of RG-6 at RatShack for ~$20.00 is ideal - and you can return it. If both the even and odd xponders on 101 show up on your receiver for each LNB output, you'll know it's OK. If not, then the 101 LNB has tanked, or much less likely, the brand new cable is defective. Then repeat the test with the existing cabling, again bypassing the switch. If all's not OK, then it's very probably the existing cabling. However, If all's OK, again, then you know the cabling is OK, which leaves the switch. You have finally found, The Weakest Link. You could have initially tried the test with the exisitng cabling, and, if all was OK, you'd have isolated the switch right off as the culprit. But, if all was not OK, you wouldn't have known where the problem was - back to square one (Do not pass "Go". Do not collect $200.)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Ray and Robert. I found a bad connection and fixed it. The really lovely part about this little incident is the timing. My wife has the remote in her hand maybe one quarter of one percent of its operational life. Guess when the sytem went out. Art

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.