AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I posted a similar question earlier, but I am really tired of error messages due to bad blanks. Out of 50 Verbatim DVD-R blanks, maybe 15% worked. The Bealls were much better, about 80%, and the Sony and Memorex blanks gave me 100% success (or course, they are more expensive). My question is that some of you E-80 owners have had wonderful success with Verbatim and less than stellar results with Sony and Memorex. I admit that the particular stack of Verbatim blanks were just one stack (I am not going to go back to Sam's and shell out $60 per stack of 50 to research and make a point), but why would, for example, Verbatims work on one specific E-80 and not another? Or is the variable here poor quality control at the factories that make the blanks and that one batch on one day may be better than another, or do I have a bad machine? I guess that I will have to resolve myself to paying over $2.20 a blank to avoid those time-wasting error messages.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I've had extrememely good results on my E-100 with both the Memorex 4x and the BeAlls. You can find the Memorx in spindles of 50 for about $1.50 each online and the BeAlls for less than $1.00 (try Meritline.com) Certainly no need to spend over $2.00.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have had my dmr-e80h for about a month and have yet to burn a coaster! i have used two five packs of TDK armor plated dvd-r, two ten packs of TDK regular dvd-r, and i am on my second spindle of Ritek G04 dvd-r. so that is 60+ dvd-r with a 100% success rate. the only common thread is the fact that they were all made in japan (100% sure of the TDK at least).

i always have the show titled i am recording, and let the disc sit in the dvd recorder for at least a minute before proceding with the burn.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by the phantom
i have had my dmr-e80h for about a month and have yet to burn a coaster! i have used two five packs of TDK armor plated dvd-r, two ten packs of TDK regular dvd-r, and i am on my second spindle of Ritek G04 dvd-r. so that is 60+ dvd-r with a 100% success rate. the only common thread is the fact that they were all made in japan (100% sure of the TDK at least).

i always have the show titled i am recording, and let the disc sit in the dvd recorder for at least a minute before proceding with the burn.

WOW!!! Not one coaster. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get these discs? I have been using Meritline for most of my supplies. In fact, Meritline is where I obtained the Beall discs.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Had 1 out of about 20 memorex 4x coasters and got 50 more at best buy for 50 bucks this week. I think they put them on sale about 1x a month.

1 out of about 12 fuji 4x in the full size case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hound
WOW!!! Not one coaster. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get these discs? I have been using Meritline for most of my supplies. In fact, Meritline is where I obtained the Beall discs.
the tdk armor plated (made in japan $25 per 5 pack) were from circuit city, the regular tdk (made in japan $14.95 per 10 pack on sale :) ) were from staples, and the ritek G04 are from meritline ($1.10 per disc with free shipping). when possible, i try to get media the was manufactured in japan. always title your programs before burning and try to give your machine a minute or two to get "prepared" for the process.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've noticed, and so may have others, the following goofiness: I put in a disk after having transferred something to the E80 hard drive (assuming it's a bit warm by then); then it says, non recordable disk. I take it out and put it back in and wait. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. So then I have started turning off the machine, or putting that disk aside and waiting. One of those 2 things usually makes the 'bad' disk work. Or maybe I let the machine sit overnight and it works just fine with the bad disk the next day.

So it's either the machine is 'hot', or is just in a mood that day. What this comes down to is if you can't get a disk the 1st time, put it aside and try another day. Now this has messed up my coaster count!

Also throw some salt over your shoulder, on the machine and chant for 5 minutes, it sure couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by newsposter
I've noticed, and so may have others, the following goofiness: I put in a disk after having transferred something to the E80 hard drive (assuming it's a bit warm by then); then it says, non recordable disk. I take it out and put it back in and wait. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. So then I have started turning off the machine, or putting that disk aside and waiting. One of those 2 things usually makes the 'bad' disk work. Or maybe I let the machine sit overnight and it works just fine with the bad disk the next day.

So it's either the machine is 'hot', or is just in a mood that day. What this comes down to is if you can't get a disk the 1st time, put it aside and try another day. Now this has messed up my coaster count!

Also throw some salt over your shoulder, on the machine and chant for 5 minutes, it sure couldn't hurt.

So, maybe all of the E-80's are haunted? Sounds like it is time to call Panasonic tech support again, for all the good it would do. The only time I consulted tech support was right after I bought the machine when a bad disc wouldn't dub. (Of course, I didn't think that there was anything such as a bad disc and the person in tech support didn't volunteer that info--that was about 15 bad discs ago and I have learned a lot since then.) Anyway, he told me to use the one-touch dubbing feature rather than the longer way. Obviously, this person wasn't the person with whom I needed to talk. After I call them again, I will let all of you know the outcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.