AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having intermittant drops on the 119° sat.

My normal strength for transponder 23 is 70 - 74. Recently while watching HBO HD I'll get the "searching for satellite" message. Going to the menu for signal strength I note no signal on any of the transponders for the 119° bird. My 101° signal strength is 90+ as is the 110° bird.

I live in the North east (20mi south of Boston).

So do I have a Multiswitch problem ? or a LNB problem ? not likely a tree or leave problem, or an atmospheric problem (not likely, skies are clear when this happens).

Speculation is welcome.

Thanks,

------------------

Steve,

(STOP DFAST SUPPORTER)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Steve,

When my multiswitch went bad, it only affected the even numbered transponders on SAT101. I've seen others say that it only affected odd or even numbered transponders on SAT101, or SAT119. I've never seen a case where one SAT is OK and the other in not. I would look to see if the LNB is bad or the tilt setting got messed up somehow.

You could swap it with the LNB from the 110 and see if the problem follows. Check the plumb of the shaft and make sure the tilt is set to the specs for your location. If none of this works, you could bypass the multiswitch with the leads form the 119 SAT and see if the problem goes away. Of course, you will not be able to view anything on the other SATs when in this mode.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect the dish aiming is OK, since when I get the signal it is as strong as it ever was. I think I have a few options still. I could swap the 101 and 119 LNB's since they are physically the same. Then if the 101 started to fail I would know it is the LNB, however if the 119 still was failing it would push more suspicion onto the multiswitch or perhaps even the receiver.....

------------------

Steve,

(STOP DFAST SUPPORTER)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Earier this week I was experiencing similar problems - searching for satellite - messages. My signal strength on one satellite was fine, while the other kept going up and down.

I believe there was a problem either with the satellite or the uplink - never got a satisfatory explanation. You might want to check out www.dbsforums.com They may know what happened.

Graeme Black

------------------

Graeme Black

Stop DFAST!

Stop DVI/HDCP!!

Boycott JVC!!!

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to follow up.

I replaced the Multiswitch earlier today, and at this point the problem is fixed. I will do some extended watching tonight, but usually the signal would drop very quickly and now it doesn't. So as of right now it looks like the "el cheapo" multiswitch was the problem.

------------------

Regards,
Stevec>

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I would think another (?more likely) explanation is a bad cable. That would definitely give a sudden drop from 75+ signal strength to 0 in one second if there was a sudden ground or change in the transmission through the cable. Usually these problems occur at the connector. I would think that switching the multiswitch could easily fix this problem if when doing the switching you played around with the F connectors enough to eliminate what was really causing the problem.

Just a thought.

SMK

·
Registered
624 Posts
Steve,

I went thru the same experience three months ago and it was a bad Multiswitch. Mine was made by Channel Master and it was a known problem to them. My first replacement ( I exchange at Walmart) appeared to work also, but alas, it did not. What brand of MS do you have? If it is CM, it must say Rev A or Rev 1 if it is model 6904! Let us know.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not likely a connector, since the condition could be made to go away by just changing channels. Once the signal was lost it would not comeback on its own, until I did the channel change.

The multiswitch was made in 1999 and was part of the shipment with the very early RCA DTC100s. It probably is one of the bad Channel Masters, I'll check when I go back home. It is an indoor installation for the multiswitch. There is no diplexor in the satellite cabling from the multiswitch to the receiver, however there is one combining 110 and 119 low voltage feed going into the multiswitch.

I replaced the multiswitch with the Spaun SMS5801 available on the thread later down the page.

------------------

Regards,
Stevec>

[This message has been edited by Steve Richards (edited 06-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Steve Richards (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I don't who the manufacturer of the old multiswitch was. It just says Directv, made in Aug of 1999. (I think it is a Channel Master since the whole oval dish setup was Channel Master).

Anyway no problems since the new switch installation.....

------------------

Regards,
Stevec>

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Eagle ASPEN model 4140 is a very good replacement for any 18x24 cm multiswitch. I also replaced mine, and it's 5/4 which combines 4 sat coax and one uhf into one multiswitch and 4 out to 4 sat boxes.And I'm very happy with mine.

------------------

PeterDz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.