AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night lightning struck a tree in my neighbors yard and wiped out his STB and several other things. I took a power hit and immediately turned off and unplugged all my equipment. When I plugged it back in after the storm had passed, everything worked fine.

Then about 3:30 this afternoon I lost the even transponders from sat101 on both my STB's. I switched the leads from the LNB's to see if the problem changed to the odds (I think it has something to do with the voltages) but the problem stayed with the evens. I disconnected each STB from the multiswitch (one at a time) to see if one of them was causing the problem. No help. So I finally put inline couplers from the sat101 leads to the leads of each of my STB's and now they work fine. Sounds like the multiswitch is bad.

It came with the Sony elliptical dish. Does anyone know where to get another?

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

[This message has been edited by dmbatch (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Unfortunately, I just went through this. While you can get another 22kHz 3-in 4-out multiswitch from kramer electronics or partsexpress.com, they're about $100. Add shipping, and you wind up with about $115. Considering that you can buy a new elliptical dish with 2LNBs and a 22KHz multi-switch for $150, it makes sense to go this route and have 2 extra LNBs for $35.

------------------
BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if it would be covered under warranty. I had it properly installed with grounding. It didn't get hit by lightning, but I think it is more than a coincidence that it went bad within 24 hours of the tree getting hit. Maybe I'll take it back to my dealer and see.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called my dealer (Myer Emco in Virginia) and they said, no problem. They will even give me the new one and allow me to bring back the old one after I switch them out. That will save me a trip up to the roof. Gooood Dealer! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The warranty on the dishes is usually the same as the system you purchased. In the case of RCA, it's 90 days parts & labor, one year parts.

------------------
BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replaced the mutliswitch yesterday afternoon and everything works fine. Dealer said Sony covers this part for 1 year, part and labor for 90 days. Since I installed it myself, I just got the part.

I read the warrantee that came with the Sony SAN24 dish and it has a clause that says if the dish wasn't installed by a certified technician, the warrantee is void. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif Good thing my dealer has known me for 20 years and is confident I installed the dish correctly. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.