AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard Channel Master discontinued the 4251 Parabolic UHF antenna, better fine one before the source dries up.

Bob

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would have to assume that they are replacing it with a new ultra long range UHF antenna product since the market for UHF antennas has got to be just starting to take off. I've read at least 3 different threads on this forum of people living at the fringe putting up 4521 antennas. When I was at my local Frys Electronics, I noticed that the terrestrial antenna area had nearly twice as much stuff as it had a year ago. Yes, it is definitely "Back to the Future" in television land.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
My local distributor knows I have a preference toward Channel Master Quantum products, and called me last week to say he believed they were discontinuing the Quantum line as well, which I thought strange, until I checked starkelectronics and found no more Quantums listed there. He had one Quantum 1162 (excellent antenna for suburban VHF with deep fringe UHF, and ghost cutting) left in his blowout area for $35, and asked me if I wanted it, so I drove right over. I replaced my VHF only Quantum and Radio Shack U120 with it, and noticed even better UHF performance.

If Channel Master is cutting out their UHF specialized antennas, its a shame, I suspect they are just about to take off, sales wise.

------------------

SVR-2000 2.0 130 hrs

HDR-112 2.0 14 hrs

REplay 3020 20 hrs

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I was told this from channel master a few months ago. They didnt sell enough to keep it going and it wouldnt be replaced. They had made a run for the warehouse. I was able to find some so I purchased one. Works great!

dave

·
Registered
508 Posts
This antenna can not be shipped UPS because it comes in a big 8 foot box. Shipping expenses may have hurt sales. Maybe CM is designing the same antenna that can be shipped for less money. I believe they did that with the CM4248. Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just purchased at 4251 at Lowe's. They don't carry it, but they carry Channel Master, thus I was able to special order it. No shipping charges (that I know of) and it took about a week.

Tom S.

·
Registered
887 Posts
This news makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!

Channel Masters' sales charts for the last year probably look like a "Stairway to Heaven" compared to the previous 25 years.

Their either updating their designs (OR) their courting a buyer.What better time to sell than the present????

Give me a break!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the small number of people actually buying DTV receivers (as much as we hate to admit it!), I doubt they are actually seeing a growing market.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That's weird. The local CM distributor told me that he's sold more antennas and 50' masts than he can remember selling in a long time -- figures it's the DTV stations coming on line.

Driving out in rural central Oregon, it's surprising the number of 4251's you see atop ranch houses - I guess they're pointing at the only town of any size (Bend), which has a few TV stations.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That's weird. The local CM distributor told me that he's sold more antennas and 50' masts than he can remember selling in a long time -- figures it's the DTV stations coming on line.

Driving out in rural central Oregon, it's surprising the number of 4251's you see atop ranch houses - I guess they're pointing at the only town of any size (Bend), which has a few TV stations.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I just checked their website.They have three Trade Shows in the next two months highlighting their Broadcast Reception Products.Don't look like they're throwing in the towel just yet!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Wade Antenna Ltd. in Hamilton, Ontario makes parabolic UHF OTA antennas with diameters of 4-, 6-, and 8-ft. I know they are quite expensive, and I'm not sure whether you can buy direct. See http://www.wade-antenna.com/upa.htm

------------------

George at WNDU

[This message has been edited by George Molnar (edited 04-03-2001).]

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Dunno if this was just a business decision or related to the gist of this thread, but I was at the Rancho Cucamonga Lowe's last night. They're no longer selling any CM products - the line of antennas and preamps are now GE.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Channel Master has, out of necessity, slimmed down their OTA antenna product line simply because they had too many products and not enough demand.

They are not, however, getting out of the antenna business. Far from it.

The ParaScope 4251 antenna is being evaluated for future production. Market demand for it will directly affect the decision to continue production. If the demand is there, it's likely the antenna will continue to be offered for sale.

K.C.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
As a side note to all of this, it seems that CM has been caught by surprise with the demand for OTA HD antenna systems. Their CM7775 and CM7777 pre-amps have been on back-order for months now, with no delivery date in sight! If anyone knows where I can get either one of these pre-amps, please contact me!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.