AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard that TWC and Viacom have not been able to reach a retransmission consent carriage deal for 16 channels on Time Warner Cable's Systems. If a deal is not reached, Viacom may force TWC to pull their channels from their systems at 12:01 on New Years Day. THIS SUCKS! I would start phone calling and e-mailing your TWC divisions ASAP to keep those stations intact while a deal is being worked on: The channels include

Comedy Central

TV Land

Nickelodeon

Spike TV

VH-1

MTV

MTV 2

and several others. Story here:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081230/viaco...ner_cable.html

Two questions:

Are Dish systems bounded by the requirements of retransmission agreements approximately every 5 years?

What was the Cable Act of 1992 designed to do, and how would this be different, if this act did not exist today?

Jack

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
The Cable Act of 1992 has nothing to do with this. This is a simple dispute about how much a content provider will get paid for their content by a video distributor. It has nothing to do with cable compatibility with consumer products.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man /forum/post/15420896

I would start phone calling and e-mailing your TWC divisions ASAP to keep those stations intact while a deal is being worked on:

What good would complaining to TWC do here? They already know there's a problem, and it's Viacom's choice to keep the channels up or not.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts
TWC cannot choose to keep the channels up "while a deal is being worked on". AFIAK, that's not a choice Viacom has made available. However, beyond that, I believe that there is actually a regulation or order that says that channels MUST be taken away today, or they cannot be taken away for a period of time during the beginning of the year -- something the FCC insisted on to preclude confusion with the broadcast DTV transition.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I am paying TWC for ANALOG BASIC(2-76) around $60/month. I think I amgoing to switch to DirecTV, as this appears to be the last straw.

I like alot of those channels, and I do appreciate the fact TWC is trying not to raise rates again. But if those channels do disappear from my basic cable channel lineup, do you think I will see a price reduction? I doubt it.

I think it is about time for me to give TWC the finger, and go satellite.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Right now they're scrolling a number across the TV on those channels to call. No idea whose number it actually is.

·
Banned
8,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE /forum/post/15423437

I think it is about time for me to give TWC the finger, and go satellite.

And so next time Viacom's contract with DirecTV comes up, they can get hit with the same excessive price increase, which they'll pass-along to you.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 /forum/post/15423550

And so next time Viacom's contract with DirecTV comes up, they can get hit with the same excessive price increase, which they'll pass-along to you.

They did say they will reduce rates for lost programing but have not determined what that figure should be yet. If there is a blackout, I don't think it will last for very long. This isn't like Lin TV in Green Bay that had a three week blackout before coming to an agreement. This is a change that will impact 13 MILLION subscribers. There are too many people involved for this not be passed quickly.

I did not even KNOW about this until yesterday. What TWC should do in the future if they are having problems getting a retransmission carriage agreement is to inform customers within 60 days of any potential channel removal. The FCC I thought required 30 days notice before any channels could be removed. More time would and will allow more parties to renegotiate by keeping those channels up during negotiations.

Jack

·
Registered
133 Posts
Right now a lot of people are having financial issues and Viacom wants to charge the cable companies more money in which you know will be passed on to the consumers. I have no problems with TWC and BrightHouse telling Viacom to go to hell. I'm already paying 70+ for digital+HDTV/ DVR package. I don't need my bill going up. The only stations I care about is Spike, CC, BET J, Nick and Nick Toons. All the rest of them suck and I can do without.

I hope this is resolved soon but not at my expense.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Your IP will tell you your ISP. I'd think more people couldn't care less about losing MTV,VH1 and maybe Nick (you get to keep BET
). Only channel I'd care about is Comedy Central but you can most of their content online.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Pfft... I could care less about BET. It sucks now because Viacom ruined it. I only like BET J because they play R&B and Soul music... plus they show black people in a positive light instead of the stereo type way like on BET.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.