AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....Buy extended warrenty...

We've had our th42pz700 for about 18 months, and used sparingly at best....maybe 30-1 hr a day max...anyways; black bar appears on lower left half way down about 3 weeks ago. Panasonic Concierge arranged for a local authorized dealer to come by and check out. They suspected it was a C3 board, but in the end the tech was certain it was a bad panel. Interestingly, after he put it all back to gather the black bar is now larger, and worse. Go figure.

Anyway, spoke with the Panasonic Concierge and he told me to fax original bill of sale and what they will do is prepare a "concession form". I will then be offered a subsidized price on a new 2009 Panasonic. Wow!

Now I have know idea what thse guys are going to offer us for our

I'm prepared for nothing...anyone else go through this BS?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippsenator /forum/post/17031875

....Buy extended warrenty...

We've had our th42pz700 for about 18 months, and used sparingly at best....maybe 30-1 hr a day max...anyways; black bar appears on lower left half way down about 3 weeks ago. Panasonic Concierge arranged for a local authorized dealer to come by and check out. They suspected it was a C3 board, but in the end the tech was certain it was a bad panel. Interestingly, after he put it all back to gather the black bar is now larger, and worse. Go figure.

Anyway, spoke with the Panasonic Concierge and he told me to fax original bill of sale and what they will do is prepare a "concession form". I will then be offered a subsidized price on a new 2009 Panasonic. Wow!

Now I have know idea what thse guys are going to offer us for our

I'm prepared for nothing...anyone else go through this BS?

Wow you paid $2,400 for that TV 18 months ago??? It was going for $1500-$1600 at Christmas 2007, and i paid $2,000 for my 42PZ700U at Magnolia 6 months before you bought yours, and i overpaid because i wanted to buy local and quick. I even think MSRP had dropped to $2,000 before you bought yours so why did you pay so much?

Nonetheless, a black bar that extends up or down to the midpoint of the panel is usually a bad video board, not a bad panel. Unless it's one of the boards that are integral to the panel in which case then yes the whole panel needs to be replaced.

Now you need to step back and take a deep breath . . . things aren't as bad as they seem.

Here's a huge data point - the PZ700U's panel itself is warranteed for TWO YEARS, but the labor to replace it is not covered so you pay the labor. Panasonic has to supply a new panel to your repairman at no charge, then you'd only have to pay the labor (sometimes it's only $200 to replace it).

Also, if you bought the TV with a good credit card that adds a year to the manufacturer warranty, they'll pay the labor charges to replace said panel.

Or - you can use the high cost ($1,200 or so) that Panasonic will incur for providing a free replacement plasma panel to the repair shop as leverage in negotiating a whole new TV. You can buy a brand new TC-P46G10 for the cost of a replacement 42PZ700U plasma panel alone, so it would be cheaper for Panasonic to give you a free 46G10 at their cost then provide a new panel for free.

And the G10 will outperform the PZ700U in every category. I have one of each and it's no contest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I paid what i paid because that's what i could find it for...cheapest around here. Keep in mind you're in the states....everything costs more up north.

Well, panasonic has offerred the TC-P42G10 to me for $750....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts