AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have DirecTV with three satellite receivers being fed by an elliptical dish with multiswitch. The three receivers are a DTC-100, an old RCA receiver that "sees" only the 101 satellite, and a Hughes E-25 DirecTV plus receiver (non-HD). I use the Hughes almost exclusively to tape sporting events. All three had been working fine since I installed the new dish in November. Yesterday, I taped the hockey game on ESPN in the afternoon. I watched it last night. About an hour into the game the screen went blank, and the dreaded "searching for satellite" line appeared. Shortly after, the DirecTV logo came on the screen, so I wasn't sure what happened. At that point, I stopped the tape and turned on the Hughes receiver to see if I could get ESPN. I couldn't. But, if I went to the program guide, I could tune in some but not all stations. So, I went to the menus and checked the satellite signal. On the 101 satellite the signal was perfect up to transponder 23. After that, all the rest to 32 read zero. On the 119 satellite it correctly showed the first 23 were not available, then two had a normal signal strength, and again the rest to 32 were zero. When I first got this receiver in November all these transponders gave normal signal strengths, but I hadn't checked since then since I never had a problem. At the same time last night I was able to get all channels with normal signal strengths on all transponders on the other two receivers. I unplugged the Hughes overnight. This morning when I plugged it back in I was able to tune in ESPN, and I thought the receiver had been reset and was OK. However, when I checked the satellite strength now for both the 101 and 119 satellites all transponders were normal except 30 to 32 which still said 0. When I checked an hour later, ESPN was still working, and now the transponders 26 and higher for both satellite weren't working. I went to try to watch ESPN again, and it was gone. Checking the transponders again, the number of transponders with 0 was increasing from the top down. Again, the other two receivers are still working perfectly.

So, is this likely a problem with the receiver or the multiswitch. It can't be a bad LNB and I don't see how the cables could be a problem. We have had some severe storms in the last few weeks in the Northeast, but this happened in the middle of a beautiful day. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

SMK

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
A quick trick is to remove a cable at the multiswitch that goes to the 101 lnb. Place a male-to-male slice connector between this cable and the cable that goes to one of your receivers. This will remove the multiswitch from the equation. BTW, you can check both cables of the lnb that points at the 101 bird. If these are ok, then I would guess it would be the multiswitch, unless there was a cable issue. These can be inspected visually at the multiswitch.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.