AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did some extracting on some old Futurama shows from last May. during the extraction, there was a reading error. It did finish the extraction but the file won't play accross the bad part.

Anyway, I put the system back together and delete the show that I extracted.

Now, I've had the system completely freak out and lock up twice and needed a soft boot to recover.

This happens if I pause live TV for a short time then unpause.

I'm thinking it has to do with the bad sector. The video stutters, stops, starts, pixelates, then the controls don't respond properly. Then total lockup (which I am assuming is because of the many many button presses filling a buffer).

Question, how to fix bad sectors. I'm going to run the extract program's health scan when I get the chance, but what can I do to fix the drive?

thanks.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
powermax is a utility from maxtor that has drive test options and a low level format option for use on Quantum and Maxtor hard drives. Low level format is a data destructive write to all zeros that annotates questionable sectors which are put into disuse by the software inside the drive. In a sense cleaning the drive up like new.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.