Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I had a technician over to calibrate my new Sony 51HW40. Unfortunately, I wasn't home at the time, and didn't get to view the results until after he left. Well, he sure did a great job - the convergence and geometry in the 'wide-zoom' mode are now shockingly bad. I booked another service call to address this, but I'm worried there now are additional problems which are less obvious and which might fall through the cracks. Most of the work order is illegible; I can only make out the words 'reset' and 'test'. Can someone tell me what I should look out for? Will it ever be the same again?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
OK, I have ask: WHY were you not there?! I cannot understand how anyone would allow someone to come in and mess with their set, with no supervision (meaning you and you alone).

No offense. But as Bill O'Reilly would say... "Come on!"

:)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
OK, I have ask: WHY were you not there?! I cannot understand how anyone would allow someone to come in and mess with their set, with no supervision (meaning you and you alone).
I was not present when the Best Buy tech came to my house last time. Of course, he did screw up the TV, but there was nothing I could have eyeballed enough to correct him. Hey man, some of us work days and have to make this HT a hobby, not our life.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
McPatrick-

You have the audacity to tell people that if they dont have a 16:9 TV that they don't have an HDTV, and then not only

A)Do you let Worst Buy work on your TV

but

B)Can't even take a day off to witness a service call?

Perhaps it's YOU that don't have a commitment to HT.

There are TVs for people that aren't willing to make a commitment to HT, those are Tube TVs.

Anyway, yes your TV can be the same again, but if you need convergence help you would be better off putting $300 towards getting it ISF calibrated than hoping that a store tech doesn't mess up your TV irrepairably.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by policy
McPatrick-

You have the audacity to tell people that if they dont have a 16:9 TV that they don't have an HDTV, and then not only

A)Do you let Worst Buy work on your TV

but

B)Can't even take a day off to witness a service call?

Perhaps it's YOU that don't have a commitment to HT.

There are TVs for people that aren't willing to make a commitment to HT, those are Tube TVs.

Anyway, yes your TV can be the same again, but if you need convergence help you would be better off putting $300 towards getting it ISF calibrated than hoping that a store tech doesn't mess up your TV irrepairably.
4:3 is NOT HDTV. Don't crop HDTV. Part of the appeal is seeing EVERYTHING!

Sure, I let Best Buy work on my RPTV and the reason I didn't take a day off is because: A) My RPTV is replacable B) What could I have done to help guide the guy? Eyeball it? That would be accurate...

Who said anything about their commitment to HT? It's a hobby, not my wife. How can I commit to it? I have a widescreen RPTV that IS ISF calibrated.

By the way, I do have a tube TV since I can't justify the cost of a second HDTV.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Richardson
If you can't be at home leave a note with your list then say please call me at xxxxxxxx to go over the list.

Dave
Dave, great call. That is actually exactly what I did. I went into MS Word and printed a list of items I expected to be done to my satisfaction. Then I left my work and mobile phone numbers and had my wife evaluate the work. I eventually had the set calibrated by Steve Martin (great job).

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
McPatrickIdiot-

You are truly a moron with obviously no idea how HDTV works on a 4:3 screen. My 61 inch 4:3 produces a size and image which IDENTICAL to a 57 inch 16:9 HDTV, while giving me the BENEFIT of being able to watch 4:3 material at 61 inches. I don't know what world you have been living in, but aside from a SMATTERING of HD material, all TV is 4:3, and video games are 4:3 (With a few exceptions). When I watch DVDs, I watch them in widescreen with a 57 inch image of sparkling clarity and depth thanks to my HTPC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.