AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a small problem here. I've had my trusty Panasonic RP-82 player for over a year now and has been working great here in my bedroom (yes, I know it's a bit of a travesty to have such a great player on just a basic TV). Last week though I bought a new TV for my bedroom, a Panasonic CT-20SL13, and bought an AR component cable to hook up the RP-82 to it. The problem is that I am getting a very bad random horizontal "shimmer" in the deep blues when connected like this. Composite and S-video connections don't have this problem whatsoever. I originally thought that it might be some sort of interference, but no matter where in the house I hook them up together this quite noticeable problem presents itself. I've tried other cables with no change whatsoever. Since I have never used my RP-82's component connection until now (was previously only using composite) I don't know where the problem lies. Is it the RP-82's component output or the CT-20SL13's component input at fault here?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
It's pretty hard to say. Try to go to a friend's house and use their TV and use component and see if you get the same results. I think it's most likely the TV. I do have two RP-82 units at home and they look wonderful on the set with no issues which you have described. I use AR Master Series component cable to hook them up.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Are you using it in progressive or interlaced mode via the component cables? If you are using progressive output, is the new TV capable of accepting a progressive signal? Is the new Panasonic TV HD ready or is it an analog set? Not sure if this applies to your situation or not, but sometimes people will buy a TV with component inputs that do not support progressive scan and try to run progressive into the TV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, it's still in interlaced mode. Progressive mode has been on the default "disabled" since the day I bought it as I've never had my RP-82 hooked up to a progressive TV. I would think that when people do enable progressive on a non-progressive set that they wouldn't get any signal at all.

Thanks for the help so far guys, keep it coming! I'd really like to find out if it is the TV or not. Of course being that I got the set off of Amazon means that exchanging it will be a *****, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe I just overlooked something.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Orbiting234:

Can you take a digital picture and post it in the forum? I have a RP-82 and is hooking up to a Sony XBR interlaced TV via AR component cable as well. It does show some transparent diagonal line interference, but I don't know if this is the same as your problem. When I added a Pelican component video switch, the problem got worst, probably due to ground looping from the cable TV or the bad crossovers in the Pelican switch itself.

Can you define shimmering? Another problem is on the dark red/blue background, I can see there are shifting lines jumping around. As I turned up the sharpness level on TV, this problem will go away, but my TV will induce a distortion in the text on both side of picture margin.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Orbiting234
Nope, it's still in interlaced mode. Progressive mode has been on the default "disabled" since the day I bought it as I've never had my RP-82 hooked up to a progressive TV. I would think that when people do enable progressive on a non-progressive set that they wouldn't get any signal at all.
I would have to agree with you there as the "disabled" by default in the setup menu as a safety measure from people from accidently pressing the progressive mode button on the unit itself.

At the time before I gotten a HDTV set, using an analog Panasonic direct tube, I enabled the progressive mode on the unit because I wasn't quite used to the additional safety feature since I also have the RP-56 which doesn't have the additional safety measure. It's a good ides that Panasonic implemented this feature so it can help reduce returns and costs of saying their unit does not function because of the progressive option accidently turned on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.