AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from the Santa Clara Magnolia. It's one of the largest and best equipped stores in the Magnolia chain. I know that they replaced their component distribution setup a little over a year ago with one that was supposed to be a big improvement.

In their RPTV room they were playing that "redecorate your room" program that seems to be on INHD every day. Their source is DirecTV.

There were bad "clay faces" on every set in the room.

All the sets (around 15) in the room displayed bad clay faces. The Sony Qualia 006 and other Sony LCD sets, a mix of Samsung 2004 and 2005 models at 720p and 1080p with wobulated chips and HD2+ chips, and the full 2004 Mitsubishi line of DLP sets using HD2+ chips.

If anything the Qualia 006 and the Samsung 1080p sets looked worse than the older sets.

Were the "clay faces" caused by DirecTV compression, the Magnolia distribution system, or Sony, Mitsubishi, and Samsung?

I had just stopped at the Campbell Fry's store to see the HLR6168 that they have connected to it's own recorded 1080i input. The recording was being played through the sets TV Ant. input.

It looked better than any set that I have ever seen at Fry's. No clay faces.

Fry's doesn't seem to have any more HD recording devices to use with their other sets. Their normal loop was as bad as usual.

Fry's does have the 1080p Mitsubishi 52" "27" on display. The loop was playing ESPN in SD, and it was going to a very large number of sets. I assume it was DirecTV but I didn't ask. What a way to sell ~$3K and > TV sets. The poor 82" Mitsubishi Alpha looks so sad at Fry's. :(

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
:eek: It truly makes you wonder who manages these stores and how they even let the doors open to their business without providing a premium experience. How does a B&M get so large that they would let their displays in such disarray?

Can you think of any other business that would display their goods in a defective state - Daily? After all , they are selling the PQ and the HT experience in HD today. Sort of like running a luxury resort and not cleaning the rooms or the grounds. How many people would stay or return - zilch!

Perhaps this confirms the source of Sporadic Clay Face reports recently by a few? Thanks! :D

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969
:eek: It truly makes you wonder who manages these stores ...
This Magnolia store was managed by a great guy who had it in third place among all the Magnolia stores last year. He was promoted to their number one store this spring. I guarantee you that, in his case, it wasn't the store manager's fault.

When I first met him in January of 2003 he explained that Best Buy was allowing Magnolia to set their own policies. Things may have changed since then, but I don't have anyone to ask for confirmation.

I do know that the Palo Alto Magnolia, in a very affluent area, has just stacked their RPTV sets. They have a row on the floor with stands, and another row above them on a shelf. Before the TV sets and stands were all on a low shelf which put them at a good eye level. If you've ever been to a Best Buy store you will recognize the new setup. The sets are now either too low or too high for standing customers to see the best PQ.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits
...snip

When I first met him in January of 2003 he explained that Best Buy was allowing Magnolia to set their own policies. Things may have changed since then, but I don't have anyone to ask for confirmation.

The Best Buy connection might explain a lot.

Last year around Christmas time our local Best Buy had a problem in the TV signal distribution system whereas about twenty TVs would flash off and on about every 5 seconds.(I measured it). Well after watching this for two and a half months, I emailed Best Buy's home office and complained about how bad this looked and why would anyone buy a TV from them as it would appear that they don't even maintain their own TVs much less would be effective at home repairs. Within 2 weeks, the display was fixed. :D I later talked to a cashier about all that and she told me that the store was like that. They'll spend all this money to have a nice looking store but won't fix a bad display. Go Figure.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I don't get it either. To me it seems like they would sell more tvs if they spent some money showing good feeds. It's not rocket science. Take some money out of the advertising budget if they have to. If I was an average consumer looking at these sets I would wonder what the big fuss is about HD or upgrading to a newer set since the tv either looks the same or worse than what I would have at home.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits
I do know that the Palo Alto Magnolia, in a very affluent area, has just stacked their RPTV sets. They have a row on the floor with stands, and another row above them on a shelf. Before the TV sets and stands were all on a low shelf which put them at a good eye level. If you've ever been to a Best Buy store you will recognize the new setup. The sets are now either too low or too high for standing customers to see the best PQ.
They just built a new CC near me and in my quest for an A10 I'd stopped in to see if they had any. They've done this stacking there as well for all of their plasma's. The lower ones are too low, and the upper ones are too high, and both suffer because it's an open design store with high ceilings and huge lights hanging down. When you try to watch the TV you are highly distracted by the reflection of all the lights in the background.

The "old" CC, the one that I normally shop at, is nice and dim, has a seating arrangement to view some of their TV's (although they only had Hitachi's setup this way) and the TV's are all setup at near to eye level while standing.

If the trend is for CC to go to this warehouse style showroom, I don't know how anyone will even get an idea of what the TV's actually look like!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Unfortunately, people like us (videophiles) are in the minority. These stores are catering to the masses that don't really understand true picture quality from a source like satellite, HD or DVD to the t.v. America is going large screen especially plasma because it's the hip and in thing now. Stores like CC, Bestbuy and even some of the what I thought to be finer stores like Tweeter are not really concerned about quality. All you need is a decent picture to capture the joey six packs' eyes and convince them to buy. Thank goodnes for forums like this one with experienced members and inexperienced members with the insight to search further than what these stores offer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.