AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what others thought. Assuming you don't NEED to buy a new HDTV I think now might not be a good time.

I have read several reports that LCD manufacturing costs will decrease by 10-15% over the next year. Also new technology is exploding right now and will severely decrease the cost of current technology. For example LED LCD, OLED, 120 Hz, 240Hz.

Another factor is the digital transition is about through now and the huge demand for new TVs should be on the downslide, tipping the supply/demand curve in favor of consumers.

I usually say just buy want you want because better stuff will always be coming out, but now might be an exception with HDTVs.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Agreed. I'm a systems designer, and am seeing display prices drop monthly. It's hard to show a proposal with display pricing when the following month the price drops $200. And there isn't any markup unless you go with the LED TV's - but not many people want to buy the $3k display when they can get the 120HZ LCD for a grand.

Rock and a hard place.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggerSJC /forum/post/17020385

I have read several reports that LCD manufacturing costs will decrease by 10-15% over the next year. Also new technology is exploding right now and will severely decrease the cost of current technology. For example LED LCD, OLED, 120 Hz, 240Hz.

Nothing new there, manufacturing cost ALWAYS decreases over time, and there are always new technologies over the horizon.

This maybe a good time to start looking however, as Black Friday is not too far away, and if yr ready by then, then yer able to jump at any deals wo hesitation.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My tactic is to usually get into tech. just before discontinuation and try and find a sale. OR, you get into the initial retail marketing push of a new model using older tech., and save more. It's a common mistake to think that prices go DOWN as time goes on - yah, this is the case 1+ yrs out... but within 1 yr., prices fluctuate wildly. Take the 54V10 for instance... right now you can get that set for $1700 in some places... but a week from now, you wont find it for that price - it'll be more like $2200-$2700.

Right now is a good time to buy because retailers want to push as much merchandise as possible for football season. Between Labor Day and Black Friday, prices will go back up. Then again before the holidays.

If you can get in on a tech. JUST as it releases for the initial marketing push, or get in on a TV JUST as a NEW tech. is coming out (like the b8500) you can get deals.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/17020550

Nothing new there, manufacturing cost ALWAYS decreases over time, and there are always new technologies over the horizon.

This maybe a good time to start looking however, as Black Friday is not too far away, and if yr ready by then, then yer able to jump at any deals wo hesitation.

99% of all "deals" on Black Friday are discountinued TV's that can be had for less in other places. I can't count the number of times the stuff I saw was from like 2 years ago. The problem with that is that the MSRP is not what the item is worth today. Technologies do change so when you look at a 2 year old item the features that were top-of-the-line such as 120hz could be in new entry level models

Prices will always go down. The only thing that I have considered when buying new TV's is when is the new lineup coming out. If it is within a timeframe that I would be willing to wait for then I wait for the new lineup. Then I either buy the new model or get a discounted old model. You have to pay attention when doing this - wait to long and your item can't be had any longer. 30 day price match policies helps you with buying it sooner rather than later.

In regards to waiting for 2-3 years. My philosophy is if I can wait that long then I don't need the item .........

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think no matter when you buy an HDTV you will feel the "grrr I should have waited!" feeling after a few months pass (usually after your return period has ended). I think you should always make well researched buys and be aware of what may be coming out in the near future and it also has a lot to do with how bad you want a television but technology and prices are never going to freeze when you buy your television.

·
Registered
362 Posts
No, I don't agree. I bought 2 plasmas and a LCD in the past few months and I got good deals, and I never looked back. I paid a fair price and when I check from time to time there isn't any significant change in prices. If I hemmed and hawed and been wishy-washy I'd still be looking and have missed months of viewing enjoyment.

If you have the money for the set you want and the price seems fairly stable go for it. The enjoyment of viewing a great set is worth a few $$ in the long run.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
You can alway just keep waiting and waiting. Prices will go down and down... eventually. Personally, I think that life is short and you should enjoy everything while you can. That being said, I bought a 52" JVC LCOS for over 3K over 4 years ago. Once it died, I replaced it with a 52" LCD for half that. Do I regret spending that 3K? Not in the least when I think of all the movies and TV that I've watched.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggerSJC /forum/post/17020385

I usually say just buy want you want because better stuff will always be coming out, but now might be an exception with HDTVs.

Fully agree....just buy whatever you like because the electronic stuff price

wont b static in future....it may decrease as new and advanced stuff will come out.

So if you think to wait till next technology, that will also go and in place of that some superior technology will come out....

So better what u want buy it now....

·
Registered
360 Posts
Looking at historic pricing for HDTV tells you the beginning of football season is the correct time to buy a set. Prices will then start inching up again till just before Thanksgiving. Black Friday would then be the second best time. The worst time to purchase a set is right after the Super Bowl. Too bad no one cares about the World Series anymore.

And then you have Microsoft, they are literally paying us to spend money in a bad economy. There are also more coupons and offers than ever. It's a great time to spend money if you have it, especially if we do experience hyper/inflation in a year or two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.