AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize to the enthusiasts here, for I'm about to show myself an awful dilettante. I'm more knowledgable about pc hardware in the build-it-yourself and overclocking arenas.

My just-finished box is a P4-1.8A (@ > 2 GHz) with i850 chipset and 512 pc800 rdram, 40 GB 7200 rpm HDD, one-way satellite connection to WWW (via DPC, at ~800 kbps down and 56k dial-UP), Audigy sound and GF3 Ti500 video.

Although I get the Web from a little Ku dish, my BUD (3m) is my TVRO source. The IRD, a Monty 70, has no Sidecar.

Briefly- I'm always looking for ways to open a foray into HDTV. I've held off until now since I never watch anything until I've recorded (timeshifted) it. Also- my TV viewing is at least 50% PBS, and they have a weird C-band HDTV arrangement.

My VHF reception of PBS is weak (40 miles north of Ground Zero here). Still- my new pc is very capable, and the idea of feeding VHF signals with PBS's HDTV is calling me like a Siren. So- when I see a *new* product (I'd only known Telemann until tonite), the MyHD, saying that I need to buy it before 5/20 or lose out a good price... well, that's why

I'm writing this 3 am whining rant!

Please direct me, if you can, to a thread that already summarizes advice to guys in my position. Or jump in yourself if you're willing, and tell me an opinion like

"You *do* need a good HD monitor, and more than 40 GB to store HDTV from any pci card known- but yes, the new MyHD is the coolest (and temporarily the cheapest, hint-hint) to get a crack at PBS hi-def!

I promise to read it all, cghase it down, and act responsibly - after I get some sleep!

Thanks so much,

Maggot

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
There are currently four HDTV cards on the market:

Tellemann

Hauppauge

AccessDTV

MyHD

There are one more coming soon (in theory, this month or next)

Digital Stream HidiTV

and maybe this one fairly later

Sasem OnAir

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=135455

AFAIK, all of them are based on the Teralogic Janus chip. Teralogic has kept their API's very tightly closed thus 100% DirectShow 8.x drivers are not and cannot be available. Without those Directshow drivers (DirectShow is to TV tuners as TWAIN is to scanners) no third party developer can access the output.

That is what is stopping me from immediately purchasing any of them. I am horrified at the thought of buying a piece of hardware that can only be used with the included software no matter how good the software is.

You will find a tremendous amount of info by searching the Home Theater Forum.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maggot
My VHF reception of PBS is weak (40 miles north of Ground Zero here). Still- my new pc is very capable, and the idea of feeding VHF signals with PBS's HDTV is calling me like a Siren.
Sounds like you are planning on getting PBS HD from New York City. If so, be aware that WNET-DT, channel 61, was destroyed on 9-11 and has not yet returned to the the air.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Actually, there is one more from Sasem, called OnAir DTV Pro 2. I have one, direct from good old Korea, and it's pretty cool. Does everything it's supposed to, albeit the DVHS out is a little finicky.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"...no third party developer can access the output." -e.vey

Humor me here- what 3rd party do you pine for?

"I am horrified at the thought of buying a piece of hardware that can only be used with the included software...."

Well I'm all for open source, but I guess that I'm too numb to be horrified anymore. My DirecPC One-Way, e.g., uses Hughes's software or nothing. In absence of DSL or cable here, I am grateful for DPC nevertheless (inasmuch as it usually does work!)

The absence of a WNET high-def local broadcast (thanks Bogney) is a bigger problem: a deal breaker. Oh, well. I suppose my wait for HDTV (now 23 years) will just have to continue. If only PBS Satellite Service used the same technology as other C-band pioneers, I could justify getting the Sidecar, HDD200, etc. Absent PBS, I simply cannot justify all that expense for the other programming.

Thanks fellers. I'll keep an eye on the pci HDTV boards now that I see there are 4 of them.

Dean

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Maggot

The absence of a WNET high-def local broadcast (thanks Bogney) is a bigger problem: a deal breaker. Oh, well. I suppose my wait for HDTV (now 23 years) will just have to continue. If only PBS Satellite Service used the same technology as other C-band pioneers, I could justify getting the Sidecar, HDD200, etc. Absent PBS, I simply cannot justify all that expense for the other programming.

[/b]
Dean:

Why don't you buy yourself an Integra IT910 MPEG/DVB receiver for the PBS feeds on GE-3? I've been enjoying PBS HD and SD material with this setup for over 2 years now!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Why don't you buy yourself an Integra IT910 MPEG/DVB receiver for the PBS feeds on GE-3?"-Rick

Thanks for jumping in, Rick. I must confess I was a bit confused the last time I looked at PBS satellite HDTV: I was just getting comfortable with the C-band equipment (it was a few months before Sidecar came out and rumors were flying) and it came as a shock to me that PBS would necessitate what was then described to me as a Unity Motion (?) rcvr. I also had a bad feeling about anything Ku then. In the interim, I installed my own Ku dish for DirecPC (spent $500 clearing trees to permit the line of sight too),

so maybe it is time I considered dedicated PBS HDTV setup.

I'm ashamed to admit that I can't recall which Ku bird my DirecPC 1-way system uses- but I have a spare Ku dish/LNB in my cellar....

Rick, could you give me a couple of links to let me read up on this project? Thanks so much,

Dean

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
$800 seems a little steep to me just to get PBS-HD, as good as it is.

But then I suppose it seems steep since I am from a part of the country where that one month of a typical worker's after-tax wages.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.