AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the way I've got my living room setup there's really no good/easy place to put a center channel speaker, all I've got are my L/R and sub. I think I've got some pretty decent L/Rs (PSB Image B15) so am I loosing a lot by omitting the center channel? I know for movies it makes a bigger difference... opinions?

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookguy88 /forum/post/16981695

the way I've got my living room setup there's really no good/easy place to put a center channel speaker, all I've got are my L/R and sub. I think I've got some pretty decent L/Rs (PSB Image B15) so am I loosing a lot by omitting the center channel? I know for movies it makes a bigger difference... opinions?

The only way you would miss anything is if you told your receiver that you had a center, but in reality, nothing was hooked up.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Since you are just using a stereo system, it should be fine. The center is mostly useful for dialogue in surround soundtracks. If you are trying to watch things in 5.1, it might be a little different.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
your receiver will remix the discrete center channel to your front left and right. as long as you sit in the sweet spot you should be able to get good dialog. the discrete channel output to a center is to anchor the soundstage and useful when you need a wide sweet spot to cater for more than one person.

might consider a set up with 4.2. it should be fun.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedankone /forum/post/16982532

like everyone says no issues.

Just as info some tvs allow you to use them as a center channel. This don't apply to you as you speakers are too good for that.

I uised to run without a center for years, and I was happy. Had center re-routed through LR fronts. I tried using TV speakers as center, but compared to my mains they were such poor quality wasn't as good as rerouting. If your player has analog multi outs that it'll use at the same time as your digital outs (assuming your using digital outs) you can have AVR reroute the center to mains AND send just the center to the TV also to supplement dialog if/when you need to, as a friend of mine does.

Only when I moved to a new place and had to set up the room fairly assymetrical did I find that I needed the center channel to properly anchor the dialog in some viewing positions...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman /forum/post/16987010

I uised to run without a center for years, and I was happy. Had center re-routed through LR fronts. I tried using TV speakers as center, but compared to my mains they were such poor quality wasn't as good as rerouting. If your player has analog multi outs that it'll use at the same time as your digital outs (assuming your using digital outs) you can have AVR reroute the center to mains AND send just the center to the TV also to supplement dialog if/when you need to, as a friend of mine does.

Only when I moved to a new place and had to set up the room fairly assymetrical did I find that I needed the center channel to properly anchor the dialog in some viewing positions...

If I do your second suggestion which is to reroute center to the Mains AND the TV, can all TVs let me do this? I know my TV has an audio input but I'm not sure if that input will only work for a certain video input, as in, let's say the audio input is labeled audio input 1, will it only work for video input 1? Or is there a way to send it to video input 2/3/4/etc.? I guess it's not too big of an issue because I'll have my AVR do the video switching.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookguy88 /forum/post/16987051

If I do your second suggestion which is to reroute center to the Mains AND the TV, can all TVs let me do this? I know my TV has an audio input but I'm not sure if that input will only work for a certain video input, as in, let's say the audio input is labeled audio input 1, will it only work for video input 1? Or is there a way to send it to video input 2/3/4/etc.? I guess it's not too big of an issue because I'll have my AVR do the video switching.

Sorry, but the only 100% truthful answer I can give you is "I dunno"...

If I were to take a guess, the answer would be no, but then the next quesiton would be "could mine?" in which case I'd be back to I dunno... so...

Let me say maybe...

My TV has speaker level inputs IIRC. The menu system has an option for its built in speakers to set them to operate as a center channel... when this is set, it will take video from whatever input it's set to, ignore the audio coming in on that input, and only send to its speakers the signal which is coming in on it's speaker input... but because it's speaker level, not line level, or for that matter some form of digital, the only way for me to get the signal there is to take the center channel output from the AVR to the TV, which means the AVR has to be set to NOT reroute the center channel to the mains... so the ONLY dialog I get in that mode would be form the TV speakers, which even with my asymmetry, was not as good as rerouting to the mains...

I believe my friend was able to use the line level out from his DVD player for sending the center channel to the TV, which still sending the full DD ot the AVR which rerouted the center info to the mains, so his tv was just augmenting the center, giving him the desired extra control without sacrificing everything else, I'm just not sure if his tv had line level inputs or if he did something funky.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts